Merc 496 lifter oiling issue

Notices

Merc 496 lifter oiling issue

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
If you got 95 engine hours with this newer version cam with its slightly smaller base circle with no such valve train noise then that's not the problem. As I said, this noise did not show up until you reversed oil flow at the cooler is that so? Is that what you were describing? If that is the case, reverse the oil line direction back and see if the noise stops.
I am saying this because that appears to be what you said in your original post.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Yes Ray, that is correct along with replacing the Crane rocker arm studs with ARP studs and replacing the old Comp Cam 929 springs with new Comp Cam 929 springs at the same time. I will try changing the oil flow direction back to the original direction through the oil cooler.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe its just a couple bad lifters????
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DesertRage
Bill,

Is the oil entering on the thermostat side of the cooler? This is the way mine is routed and it seems to be working well.

Jon
Hey Jon,

I believe my original setup had the oil in on the thermostat end. Now it is the reverse.

I had previously discussed with Hardin Marine how their thermostatically controlled 3x18 oil cooler functioned. The oil flow through the 3x18 heat exchanger section is never impeaded. The thermostatically controlled section actually only bypasses the 3x18 heat exchanger section so that when the oil is <190F the thermostat is open so that some of the warming oil is allowed to bypass the 3x18 heat exchanger section to speed its warm up while the rest still flows through the 3x18 HE. When the oil reaches 190F+ the thermostat closes and all the heated oil must then pass through the 3x18 heat exchanger section. Hardin did say oil in at the thermostat side was the prefered connection but that the reverse would also work. Even with this 3x18 oil cooler the previous parallel oil & cooling sea water flow would alow oil temp to exceed 280F after 10 min WOT with this Mercruiser closed cooling set up. Counter flow in the oil cooler is theoretically more efficient and worth a try to see if it could control my oil temp to an acceptable level for long hard runs.

Regardless I will try switching it back and see if that has any effect on the lifter noise from those few of the left bank lifters

Last edited by Rage; 01-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
maybe its just a couple bad lifters????
That would be a blessing and is my hope.