HP500 EFI Oil Dilution >

HP500 EFI Oil Dilution

Notices

HP500 EFI Oil Dilution

Old 04-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP500 EFI Oil Dilution

There was a post on the board a few months ago about HP500 EFI's running so rich they were diluting the oil with fuel. Anyone have any information on this ? Has Mercury done anything to correct this situation on newer motors ? Also has anyone had the HP500 EFI's reprogrammed ? If so, who did you use ?

I am purchasing a couple of these new and plan on keeping them a long time and do not want this problem. I have purchased a couple of Master Lubes to put on the boat to reduce wear. But this oil dilution problem could negate all the benefits of the pre-lubers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

Default oil dilution-HP 500 EFI's

Just had my ECM's reprogrammed by Tyler Crockett to lean 'em out a bit , he mentioned that this seemed to be a common complaint on the HP's , I've only had the boat out 2 times so far this year, so I can't give you an opinion yet.

mailto:[email protected]

Last fall when I put the engines up for winter layup, I had oil analysis done on both engines and they both came back with 5.5% of fuel dilution-enough to take the oil out of it's specified grade(20w50), and this was after only 18 hours! I haven't yet taken up this issue with Merc, but I'm thinking I need to let 'em know that this is unacceptable.

I definately recommend oil analysis, it saved me from some major disappointment.

let me know if you need any more info,
Paul
[email protected]
Old 04-22-2002, 12:26 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

h2o warrior: The oil dilution is a common problem, but no so bad as to cause problems so long as your oil and filters are changed at least every 20 hours.

Reprogramming the ECU's can significantly reduce the problem, but do use someone knowledgeable like Tyler, Arizona Speed and Marine etc. because if you're too lean, you'll fry a piston.

When I added the Whipples to the 500 efi's last year I was stunned by the clarity of the oil even after 10 hours. There was hardly any soot on the transom as well. When the blowers were added the ECU's were reprogrammed and the fuel set up is much leaner at the low end and a bit richer at the high end.

Because all of my boating is in warm weather, I run a straight 40 weight oil. Due to the frequency of oil changes, I just run a straight 40 weight, in lieu of a synthetic.

Take care,

Steve
Old 04-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guy's, it is really appreciated. I'll have the oil sampled after the first couple of oil changes and see how bad the dilution is. I do not do much wide open throttle operation so I will have to ballance the potential lean situation with the oil dilution.

Boathead, keep me posted on your results.

SteveDavid, sorry to hear about the drive. Sounds like F2 is going to be very competitive this year.