Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 mag 415hp carb do they need pcv valves? >

502 mag 415hp carb do they need pcv valves?

Notices

502 mag 415hp carb do they need pcv valves?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 502 mag 415hp carb do they need pcv valves?

finishing up motor car 502 gen 6 rand new, have garfrig flame arestor with hook ups for hoses. I have a stock 502 with stock valve covers, should i run PCV valves in each side, or just open nipples with hoses, or the push in knN style filter in covers??

Are the push in sytle messy with oil?

looking for kit but cant find anything simple, not to fancy.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ballon78
finishing up motor car 502 gen 6 rand new, have garfrig flame arestor with hook ups for hoses. I have a stock 502 with stock valve covers, should i run PCV valves in each side, or just open nipples with hoses, or the push in knN style filter in covers??

Are the push in sytle messy with oil?

looking for kit but cant find anything simple, not to fancy.
no one?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

nip&hoses to arrester,works good no mess.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i looked for nipples at auto zone today and nothing..where do i get them?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had your same problem until someone here just told me to knock the guts out of a PCV valve that fits the gromet in the valve cover and hose. So that i what i did. And they look better than plastic.

Just find a valve that fits and cut the bottom off and rip the internals out making it a nipple. that should do you well.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Also, i would look for tall breathers if your valve covers accept them. I am using valve covers off of an old merc 420 to clear my rockers and nuts (you can get low profile nuts but i didn't) and i have shorter breathers. they always spit oil out when i go on a speed run. Or a higher rpm cruise.

careful with that OL they can get a little loose when you start to pack power in them. How fast you lookin to go?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
Also, i would look for tall breathers if your valve covers accept them. I am using valve covers off of an old merc 420 to clear my rockers and nuts (you can get low profile nuts but i didn't) and i have shorter breathers. they always spit oil out when i go on a speed run. Or a higher rpm cruise.

careful with that OL they can get a little loose when you start to pack power in them. How fast you lookin to go?
like to get 70mph with what i have but who knows. 435 hp 502, gm highrise intake brass lined(salt) holley 800 DP, EMI exhaust Long tube stainless risers, and i was running a 24 B1 prop 4 blade that im thinking may work good. Think i'll get 70? I was doing 59 with 330hp 454 cast motor. My drive is complete freshened up no play anywhere all new bushings, steering shaft so steering wise im niceand tight.

What do u have for power, speed, prop, and so on?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

mine hit 70 with a little over 500hp. i was running a 24p bravo 1 but it was on a 1.36 drive. i have just got a 1.5 so we will see how that goes. The problem is getting through the pourpose. The OL is heavy, and has a haevy bow. The hull has not been engineered and built that well i am sure you have a hook in yours like mine. anyways as soon as i hit around 60 it would bob the bow up and down. it took sone tricky new trimming procedures to push through it.

What i do is i get on plane then i get running about 30 and i trim the drive until the prop comes out of the water. i then lower the drive until it grabs. then i push the throttle foreward trimming as i go. it seems to keep the bow up. i ran a mirage that was a little big for the drive it was a 25p and it was not in my favorite rpm range but it carried the bow all day long. I would go with a mirage plus 23. The Bravo1 24p prop is actually a little over a 23p but not quite 24.

Right now my engine is out and being stuffed with Marine Kinetics hardware and built to his specs. If you want a good running reliable and properly built engine you go to him. I am only investing 4k but if i could take all the money i put into the engine last year and give it to bob for something like heads i would. mine was not set up right. it wore the heat treat off the cam and threw metal through the engine. i also like a dumb sh** used my old oil cooler when the previous application had 5 flat cam lobes. So shot myself in the foot there.

Griff also had a 24 outlaw and had about 70 mph out of his. mabye he can give some input. But i think on a good day with some chop and all the right conditions you may see 70. I would assume 65 out of it now.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
mine hit 70 with a little over 500hp. i was running a 24p bravo 1 but it was on a 1.36 drive. i have just got a 1.5 so we will see how that goes. The problem is getting through the pourpose. The OL is heavy, and has a haevy bow. The hull has not been engineered and built that well i am sure you have a hook in yours like mine. anyways as soon as i hit around 60 it would bob the bow up and down. it took sone tricky new trimming procedures to push through it.

What i do is i get on plane then i get running about 30 and i trim the drive until the prop comes out of the water. i then lower the drive until it grabs. then i push the throttle foreward trimming as i go. it seems to keep the bow up. i ran a mirage that was a little big for the drive it was a 25p and it was not in my favorite rpm range but it carried the bow all day long. I would go with a mirage plus 23. The Bravo1 24p prop is actually a little over a 23p but not quite 24.

Right now my engine is out and being stuffed with Marine Kinetics hardware and built to his specs. If you want a good running reliable and properly built engine you go to him. I am only investing 4k but if i could take all the money i put into the engine last year and give it to bob for something like heads i would. mine was not set up right. it wore the heat treat off the cam and threw metal through the engine. i also like a dumb sh** used my old oil cooler when the previous application had 5 flat cam lobes. So shot myself in the foot there.

Griff also had a 24 outlaw and had about 70 mph out of his. mabye he can give some input. But i think on a good day with some chop and all the right conditions you may see 70. I would assume 65 out of it now.
Mine is a 1:50 drive so i hopeing i get 70....65 would kill me that only 5mph faster than i was with 330 hp. never had porpusing problems with mine at 58-60, mine is alwasy solid as can be and im always in salt in the ocean. what do you think you will pull with the 1;50 drive..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Registered

I do not think the drive is gonna give me more top speed. My plaining sucked and my acceleration was awful. It would get going though. I think my marine kinetics engine is what may make me hit 75 on a good day. custom cam, 509 displacement and some other misc stuff. cant wait until summer! i am in the prosess of glassing in the new stringers i had to put in. Yyou should install drains on the engine stringers before it is too late. you should have seen the rotten wood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.