What causes gas to turn white? >

What causes gas to turn white?

Notices

What causes gas to turn white?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Sugar!! seen it in cars to where jealous boyfriend admitted to putting a whole lb of sugar in a gas tank of his ex girlfriends gas tank..

Best way to tell also is look inside the throttle bodys and sparkplugs,,it will look like someone sprayed clear paint on it..
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FullAuto9
This stuff was white, looked like someone cleaned out a big paint brush in it. They keep saying it's just water and the outboards kept flashing the water in fuel message, but it might be something else. The boat has dual racor filters.
I doubt very highly it is water.

Gas weights around 6 lbs/gal depending on the temp.
Diesel weights around 6.7 lbs/gal

Water is around 8 lbs/gal and will not mix with fuel.

Like everyone has said, there is something up and with it being a repo I would be even that much more cautious.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

Put a sample in a glass jar. Water and ethenol gas will be white when stirred. Leave it sit for a min or two, and it will seperate. You can suck the alcohol/water mix from the bottom, and put a match to a drop or two of it. You will see a blue alcohol flame. Do the same to the top layer, and you will see a yellow gasoline flame.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to test for water then go purchase some water paste... Your local fuel company or farm store will have it...ethanol will turn more of a foggy white color not so much a paste white like you are speaking of. Ethanol will actually burn almost clear just like methanol. If you could post a picture or send me a sample I have the equipment to do most of the testing in our lab. What kind of tanks are in te boat? Are they fiberglass? What kind of gas is sold in the area the boat was purchased e10? E15? NEAT fuel? All of these could be factors
Old 05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MDR makes a product called Water Zorb. It allows the water to mix with the fuel and burn. It turns the water and fuel white. If there is too much water in the tank I don't think it will burn. I have seen it several times when someone had water in their tanks. They put this in and you will get white crap out of the fuel lines and filters. I have never used it and have pumped the tanks completely dry when I found it.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

stick your finger in it and see if it tastes sweet if you think it might be sugar.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
stick your finger in it and see if it tastes sweet if you think it might be sugar.
GeeWiz, Where was this post a few days ago. It's not like we haven't all got a taste of fuel from time to time. I seriously felt like I drank some of that last weekend.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by getrdunn
GeeWiz, Where was this post a few days ago. It's not like we haven't all got a taste of fuel from time to time. I seriously felt like I drank some of that last weekend.
If you have drank all the way down to the gas tanks, it is time to just go to bed.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't seem like it should be all that big of a deal to me. If they drain the tank all the way down and refill it with new gas, does it still have an issue? Seems like a simple enough fix to me. I wouldn't think that there would be long-term effects from it, even if it was something placed in the tank.

FWIW... Myth busters did the sugar in the gas tank myth and busted it. It didn't make the motor seize up or anything like that. It seems the most you would have to worry about it a carb cleaning.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know what the gas tanks in a 05 spectre are made of? The worst case would be ethanol dissolving the fuel tanks.

Never mind , tanks are aluminum.

Last edited by FullAuto9; 05-25-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: There aluminum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.