Notices

Twin Disc rebuild-Katdrvr

Old 04-27-2002, 02:38 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Twin Disc rebuild-Katdrvr

I need to rebuild (maybe adjust) an MG-502 tranny. It disengages (slips) at 3500rpm, just like putting it in nuetral. The other one works fine, but since they are both out of the boat I should probably go through both of them. I have the service manual and the rebuild seems pretty straightforward but there are a some precise measurments and a lot of parts in the clutch packs that have me concerned. Also if I do it myself I don't know how I can test it to make sure it's ok other than putting it back in the boat with the engine.
KATDRVR, I think you mentioned rebuilding yours. Would you do it again, or pay somebody?
The nearest Twin Disc dealer is 175 mi. away.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BCK.......fyi.......TMI in Florida can sell you a rebuilt trans that comes with a 90day warranty for about $1700 shipped to your door. They do require your old core though. (When I bought mine it came with blown trans. These folks were much cheaper than an actual TwinDisc dealer to do the work)......just an option.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I new somebody that rebuilt car transmissions and he did it for me. Parts were about $400 and he charged me $150 to rebuild it. He said it was not a hard rebuild, it worked fine for 5 years.

I did not get my parts through Twin Disc, I called around to different marina's I foung in the back of Boating.

mike