Oil temp sensor? >

Oil temp sensor?

Notices

Oil temp sensor?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil temp sensor?

I have oil temp gauges but they have never worked since i owned the boat. i think the guy i bought it from said they werent wired. poking around my gauges i do see there is wiring connected to them. would this be where a temp sensor would be located? if so the sensor looks like it is wired too. i'll have to test the wiring some other weekend.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having same issue. Just switched from a 496HO to a 500efi and now my oil temp gauges don't work...Actually can't recall if they worked on the 496's either. Any advice? The gauges are wired as I put new gauges in 2yrs ago. I'm guessing it's the sensor wire or the senders aren't in the right location to read correctly. My boat runs 155 degrees on water temp so oil should be within 10-20 degrees I would imagine. It doesn't even move on the gauge.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the ign key on ground the power wire from the sender to the block with a good ground, gauge should peg at max temp, if it does you have sender problem or ground issue, if does not trace back to gauge....
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my cousin's TG, its a dark brown wire, goes to a sending unit down by the oil filter block adapter. It's a single wire sender tho. You sure that isn't the Hobbes switch for the electric fuel pumps (if you have them)?

Anyhoo - my cousin's boat, HP500's, this is where the oil temp sender is, down in this mess.
Attached Thumbnails Oil temp sensor?-img00288.jpg  

Last edited by c_deezy; 06-08-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Registered

I never did get this figured out last summer. This is a priority before it goes in the water this year.

I know the remote filter location is different from the HP500 and 500efi.

My question is where's the best location to read oil temp on a 500efi to get the most accurate oil temp?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like an oil pressure switch. Senders will only have 1 wire going to them.

Originally Posted by BDiggity
I have oil temp gauges but they have never worked since i owned the boat. i think the guy i bought it from said they werent wired. poking around my gauges i do see there is wiring connected to them. would this be where a temp sensor would be located? if so the sensor looks like it is wired too. i'll have to test the wiring some other weekend.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The best place to read oil temp in a Gen VI block is the 3/8" NPT port just above the oil filter pad (where the oil filter would be in a car). The pressure sender will be there, so you will have to move it. You can put it in the port just above the bell housing, the filter housing, or in the 1/4" npt port on the side of the block just above the oil pan rail near the front. You want the oil temp sender in the flow of oil, not a dead end passage that has stagnate oil. The port I mentioned is the absolute best place. The pressure sender can go anywhere, even if it is in a dead end passage. Pressure is pressure. You want to know the temp of the oil that is going in the engine. Good luck. Give me a shout if I can help.
Eddie
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

My oil temp senders are located in the pan. This is where the oil is being picked up from to pump into the engine and shouldn't be influenced by block heat. Bottom line is if you take 20 readings of temp with a digital temp gun from 20 different places on your engines, guess how many different readings you will get? I want to know how hot the oil is that I'm sending back into the engine, period. IMO
Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The best place to read oil temp in a Gen VI block is the 3/8" NPT port just above the oil filter pad (where the oil filter would be in a car). The pressure sender will be there, so you will have to move it. You can put it in the port just above the bell housing, the filter housing, or in the 1/4" npt port on the side of the block just above the oil pan rail near the front. You want the oil temp sender in the flow of oil, not a dead end passage that has stagnate oil. The port I mentioned is the absolute best place. The pressure sender can go anywhere, even if it is in a dead end passage. Pressure is pressure. You want to know the temp of the oil that is going in the engine. Good luck. Give me a shout if I can help.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie! You always are glad to help out..
Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

Where can I get the correct sender for oil temp other than Mercury?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.