Can't get the Alternator off >

Can't get the Alternator off

Notices

Can't get the Alternator off

Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get the Alternator off

I am having one heck of a time getting the collar off to take the Alternator off. Any ideas? I sprayed WD40 and the alternator spins but the collar will not budge at all.

I had someone tell me to take a sawsall and cut the collar but then i will have to find a new one and i dont know how hard that will be to find.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had that happen to me, the collar pushed just a tiny fraction of an inch into the soft aluminum bore of alternator. I used penetrating oil and a sharp chisel to tap on both inside and outside edges (inside edge is on the collar between the cast iron bracket and alternator. Outside edge is on the collar on the outside of the cast iron bracket) of the collar to try to loosen it in the cast iron bore. Then placed the chisel between the alternator and the cast iron bore on the collar and kept wedging it away from the alternator, repeating the steps over and over until I could grab the bottom of the alternator and work it back and forth just a tiny amount each time until I could eventually work the collar forward enough to release the alternator. It took hours.
What I found was that on my other engine, someone had installed a thin washer between the collar and the alternator that would NOT allow the collar to push into the bore of the alternator, that has worked and now I have done that on both engines. Good luck! Cussing helps.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Registered

I know stupid question, but have to ask. You did remove the lower bolt from the bottom of the alternator which disconnects the alternator from the other bracket that is used to adjust belt tension right? Also, for clarification, you mention " the alternator spins but the collar does not budge". I assume that to mean the alternator pivots within that collar, but does not come out? I cant tell from the pic, but another question is do you have the long bolt fully removed from that collar, and not still partially engaged on the back side? If both of those bolts are fully removed, then you should be able to stick a large screwdriver or pry bar, between the bracket and alternator and slowly pry the alternator away from the bracket as you pivot the alternator up and down.
Forget the sawsall idea.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the room, use a BIG ( and there is a reason I say BIG hammer and give the alternator mounting leg a good solid smack pushing it towards the slip collar. This will in most cases move the collar outward enough to allow alt. removal.
Use a good solid steel drift if needed to allow you to hit the alt. leg as close to the bolt hole as possible.

The reason for BIG is you want PUSH, not HIT like a smaller hammer provides.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

Yes both bolts or off. The alt pivots on the collar but the collar wont move at all. I cant get the alt to move left or right on the collar. I will give it another try tonight.

Keep the ideas coming please!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

that " collar" is actually a bushing that is supposed to slide in the casting. what has happened is that it has both corroded to its bore and , as mentioned, burred its way into the mount.
careful application of a propane torch on the casting at roughly the same angle that you took that picture from and then a shot of wd 40 and abit of judicious prying will see that loosen right up. when you have it off, make sure you warm it again and tap it in both directions so its " free" to slide because if you leave it siezed and put it back on that way, when it goes to tighten and slide to fit, instead i have seen it snap the ear off. it slides like that so the alt can fit a lot of dif mounts.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
that " collar" is actually a bushing that is supposed to slide in the casting. what has happened is that it has both corroded to its bore and , as mentioned, burred its way into the mount.
careful application of a propane torch on the casting at roughly the same angle that you took that picture from and then a shot of wd 40 and abit of judicious prying will see that loosen right up. when you have it off, make sure you warm it again and tap it in both directions so its " free" to slide because if you leave it siezed and put it back on that way, when it goes to tighten and slide to fit, instead i have seen it snap the ear off. it slides like that so the alt can fit a lot of dif mounts.
Thanks for all the info. I have never had to do anything like this so i dont want to damage anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

I ran into the same problem, I used a round punch from the back side and tapped the bushing out enough to get the alt out. If it's not too much work, remove the bracket and do it on the bench, much easier...BC
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

If you have access @ a air chisel and a hammer end,catch the top lip of the alternator and drive it forward, its a tight fit and if it moves up and down the bushing will move forward..
Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

I finally got the Alt. off and took it in to have it looked at and they said it has gone bad. I will be having it rebuilt. Thanks again for all your help.