Fuel Problem

Notices

Fuel Problem

Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airtex only lists two pumps for the 7.4 engine:
60932 - 92-93 - GM Mark V eng, w/ 4bbl carb
41416 - 79-90 - Chev eng after 1-31-79, Dual diaphragm pump, inlet 9 O'Clock, outlet 8 O'Clock.

But looking at the picture (both on Airtex's site and Autozone), it doesn't look like the stock pump. It also doesn't look like it has the fuel nipple that runs to the carb in case the diaphragm ruptures. Also the 41416 pump runs 88.99 at Autozone. I found the Holley 712-454-11 Marine 110 GPH Mechanical Fuel Pump on Amazon for $93.25 with free shipping. Not a big difference in price for the AirTex. I wish the other Airtex pump fit my 454/Alpha Mark IV.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Bill
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same motor and I replaced the high pressure pump in the vst tank last year and has ran great until the last couple of times out, if I drop it too fast back to idle it dies and will start right back up with a lil bit of throttle. Has anyone else experienced this? Im looking to replace this sea pump mounted fuel pump to see if thats it, but higher rpms are fine.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

Well, I found the fuel pump for the my 330 HP 454 that will bolt up to the block. I looked under Mercury Marine, not Mercruiser. I don't know why the difference since my engines are Mercruiser. Here is the information:

Part Number: 60601
Weight: 1.8 lbs
Warranty: 1 YR
Fitting Size: Inlet - 1/4 in. - 18, outlet - 1/4 in. - 18
Fitting Type: Inlet - NPSF, outlet - NPSF
Gallons Per Hour: 50
Pressure Rating: 6 - 7 1/2 psi
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

BTW - this pump is only 55.99!

-Bill
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

These fuel pumps worked great! Installing them, and bending the lines were a real B@#$h, though. It took 3.5 hrs to install the pump on the port engine, and 2.5 hours to install on the starboard. That's 6 hours of marine tai chi.

The boat finally runs great. I was having issues with the starboard engine for a few years - not getting full RPM out of it.

Thanks for the help,
-Bill