Which Marine AC to get? >

Which Marine AC to get?

Notices

Which Marine AC to get?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Marine AC to get?

There seems to be several manufacuters for marine AC units.
My boat is a 38 foot cigarette. Which brand is the best?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Heard great things about the ones west marine sells. Would love to have one in my 31
Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed a few. I really like the Marine Air Systems. Small size and their rotary compressors dont pull much amperage at startup. Also, it's available with an old fashion dial control. I've seen way too many of the digital panels fry. I assume it's from voltage spikes. I've never seen a dial control go bad.
And shop around for their complete kits, I've found several hundred dollars difference.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdoactive
I've installed a few. I really like the Marine Air Systems. Small size and their rotary compressors dont pull much amperage at startup. Also, it's available with an old fashion dial control. I've seen way too many of the digital panels fry. I assume it's from voltage spikes. I've never seen a dial control go bad.
And shop around for their complete kits, I've found several hundred dollars difference.
Would you mind to inform us about some of the basic overview of install? I have always wondered how much hose and wiring is required
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in the marine a/c business for over 20 years....was a marine air systems dealer for years, then they got bought out and combined in the taylor group..price went thru the roof...good unit but had problems with their electronic control unit..made several diff ones over the years and none interchanged..any way been selling mermaid for about 9 yeras now..great unit, decent price and a 5 year warranty that nobody has...pm or call(540-786-8111) me and will give you a great deal along with tech support on your install...Rob
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered

Installed Mermaid 10 years ago, no problems- great total kit-easy to install..37 Baja- Ken
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, and I see your point there. I got a 5000btu coolmate for $1100 about 4-5 years ago. Now $1700 seems to be the going rate. Ouch.
And I've seen failures with everyones digital controls. I think I would stick with a dial control with any manufacturer.
Originally Posted by ezstriper
I have been in the marine a/c business for over 20 years....was a marine air systems dealer for years, then they got bought out and combined in the taylor group..price went thru the roof...good unit but had problems with their electronic control unit..made several diff ones over the years and none interchanged..any way been selling mermaid for about 9 yeras now..great unit, decent price and a 5 year warranty that nobody has...pm or call(540-786-8111) me and will give you a great deal along with tech support on your install...Rob
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

I disagree, mermaids can use a std digital household themostat, sold/installed well over 100 and had very little issues with them....I hate the old dial controls...hard to regulate the temp....Rob
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered

ezstriper
I started looking and talking to different companies last fall about an A/C unit for our 38' Slingshot. One company from Fl. suggested if it was to be installed in a performance boat that I allow him to put extra solder and bracing on all copper lines (at extra cost) is this needed.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Registered

sounds like a line of B/S to me..just another way of boosting $$$ I have installed mermaids in formula's, chapperal's, and other sport boats..never had a issue..if they feel the need to do that must be some shabby stuff to begin with...there are some really crap units out there...been servicing them for years...some just built with real subpar parts...feel free to give me a call...Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.