Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why so many bb's vs. sb with procharger?? >

Why so many bb's vs. sb with procharger??

Notices

Why so many bb's vs. sb with procharger??

Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many bb's vs. sb with procharger??

I was wondering why performance boaters choose big block power over using a 383 stroer sb with a procharger? Another quetion, I notice every few weeks in the classifieds, theres a new post for someone selling a bb procharger. Why is that? I'm looking to build something for a 24ft Mirage offshore cuddy, to run on the ohio river in cincinnati. I wanna be able to hit 70+ if I feel the need, but would like to cruise majority of the time. what would be the most suitable setup?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an M-2 procharger head and bracket going cheap - just upgraded to M-3.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I heard so many procharger horror stories from a friend who tried to make one work.....
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by B.O.T.E BBC427
I was wondering why performance boaters choose big block power over using a 383 stroer sb with a procharger? Another quetion, I notice every few weeks in the classifieds, theres a new post for someone selling a bb procharger. Why is that? I'm looking to build something for a 24ft Mirage offshore cuddy, to run on the ohio river in cincinnati. I wanna be able to hit 70+ if I feel the need, but would like to cruise majority of the time. what would be the most suitable setup?

I say what I am about to say from experience.

A small block can be made superbly, but its actually harder to do and requires extremely expensive parts you are not likely to find used.

Its easier and cheaper to get moderate to high power out of a BBC than a SBC.

the reason for this is severalfold but boils down to these 3 things.

1. Availability of quality marine parts like exhaust.

2. The BBC can be made very powerfull without sacrificing "driveability". Things like idle quality and low end torque while making a good spread and high power are simply harder to do with less CI's.

Not that #3 has aything to do with power, but its noteworthy that.....

3. boats originally outfitted for small blocks usually have low end alpha drives and no hydraulic/external steering

All that air pushing stuff is a nightmare unless you have extreme talent and budget- or leave it alone completely.

Build a powerfull well built engine NA or Injected and save the huffing componentry for racers and guys that like wrenching on stuff all the time. Youll be chasing that stuff for an eternity.

small blocks can be really cool, and A wicked small block is a thing of beauty this is my latest build, and this little 406 makes a few ponies shy of 500hp, and puts out 510 lb ft with a wide flat curve- its nasty. basically a 500/500 setup.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ent-years.html

I could have built a 600HP big block for the same dough.

The only reason to do a SBC is if you already have one, or simply like trying to get the most from the least, but its not how you lay down a reasonable number for the least amount of dough.

That said in an 1800 lb boat I can put big blocks on the trailer all weekend long.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 06-21-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I went around and around on this very topic a year ago. I then decided to build a BBC. I decided on a bored out 427. I get the small block stroke/reving ability with the big block bore and superior heads of a bbc. It's not been a cheap project. I'm having some of the best guys in the offshore engine world spec and build this project and when all is said and done I'm hoping for at least 550 hp in a bbc that should weight close to a stock small block.

Your Mirage is quite similar to my Formula 242 and you're going to need a very stout engine to hit 70 mph. For the Formula a Merc HP 500 is good for 69 mph. I really don't think your going to hit that speed with a small block, super charged or not.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

torque and reliability....getting big block power is no problem, but you just removed the pin....
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
torque and reliability....getting big block power is no problem, but you just removed the pin....
Depends on how you do it.

Only if you use cast internals,

Even then I got 10 years out of a 500HP small block with forged pistons, but cast crank and stock rods.

UD
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, Endeavor I talked to Bob @ rmbuilder and am going with the same setup as you...427 .60 over with afr heads etc.

thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm planning on having my engine in the boat and on the water late next week if all goes well. I'll let you know how it goes, but I honestly don't see why this engine won't rip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.