Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Method for Charging Batteries? >

Best Method for Charging Batteries?

Notices

Best Method for Charging Batteries?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Method for Charging Batteries?

What's the best method for charging my 3 batteries? I have one dedicated to running the stereo. Many times it is a couple of weeks between starts. Regular batteries for running the boat and a blue optima for the stereo. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Stereo and Lights are your main draws on batteries.
Usually, you "save" one battery for engine starting, and leave the remainder of them strapped together for everything else.

As far as charging? You mean at the dock, on the trailer, or while cruising?

Best charging procedure is: temperature monitored three-stage electronic charging with target voltages specific to your battery chemistry.

Next best is same without the temp monitoring.

A GOOD multi bank 3 or 4 stage marine charger bolted to your bulkhead is a wise purchase. A ProMariner Flyback electronic or Newmar 4 stage is hard to beat. Those units "watch" each battery and charge it optimally. You wire the charger directly to the batteries without going thru the batt switches. Use it at the dock or on the trailer thru the shorepower cord. Plug it in and forget about it. Good chargers won't boil the water out of the batts and won't overcharge.

MC
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

Great reply. This is while it's on my lift at the dock. Any ideas on price of marine chargers?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Something like a ProMariner 8amp, 2 bank, 3 stage electronic charger is around $110.

A Newmar 7amp, 2 bank, 3 stage electronic charger will run $220.

If you are using three discrete battery banks, then a ProMariner ProSport 3 bank is about $175. A Newmar PT14 3 bank is about $300.

If you don't have battery isolators for the alternators, then they are around $45-75 depending on 2 bank or 3 bank.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it harmful to your batteries to run a higher amp alternator?

I'm 90% certain that the stock amperage output on my alternators is 60 amps. If I up them to 90 amp alternators or 140 amp alternators is it going to hurt the life of my batteries?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

No, the batteries will only accept what they need at a set voltage. What kills batteries is holding them at too high a voltage for too long, or allowing them to remain under voltage for too long / repaetedly going under voltage.

Most cars today have 100+ amp alternators, my Dodge truck has a 165amp alt. Batteries in cars last a long time - because the voltages are managed correctly, and they rarely are allowed to drain below 12.6 volts.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Stereo and Lights are your main draws on batteries.
Usually, you "save" one battery for engine starting, and leave the remainder of them strapped together for everything else.

As far as charging? You mean at the dock, on the trailer, or while cruising?

Best charging procedure is: temperature monitored three-stage electronic charging with target voltages specific to your battery chemistry.

Next best is same without the temp monitoring.

A GOOD multi bank 3 or 4 stage marine charger bolted to your bulkhead is a wise purchase. A ProMariner Flyback electronic or Newmar 4 stage is hard to beat. Those units "watch" each battery and charge it optimally. You wire the charger directly to the batteries without going thru the batt switches. Use it at the dock or on the trailer thru the shorepower cord. Plug it in and forget about it. Good chargers won't boil the water out of the batts and won't overcharge.

MC
That's what I did in my boat last year, same setup with three batteries. I plug it in during the week and batteries are always topped off for the next outing.