Mercruiser Slow Acceleration Only >

Mercruiser Slow Acceleration Only

Notices

Mercruiser Slow Acceleration Only

Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser Slow Acceleration Only

Hello all! Before I go buy the $100+ carb rebuild kit I wanted some input.

5.7L with Webber carb will accelerate slow but if I try a quick acceleration it just seems to bog and produce a gassy smell from the exhaust until I back off the throttle. It I back it down and start over again slowly it works fine. I took the carb off and cleaned it good and the accelerator pump seemed to function correctly. I would think that if it is bogging from lack of fuel I would not smell this aweful gassy smell.
Thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by DIRTYDOG
Hello all! Before I go buy the $100+ carb rebuild kit I wanted some input.

5.7L with Webber carb will accelerate slow but if I try a quick acceleration it just seems to bog and produce a gassy smell from the exhaust until I back off the throttle. It I back it down and start over again slowly it works fine. I took the carb off and cleaned it good and the accelerator pump seemed to function correctly. I would think that if it is bogging from lack of fuel I would not smell this aweful gassy smell.
Thanks.
one thing that sucks about the webber carb is theirs a tiny screen under seat's that plug up,if you don't unscrew them and take them out you will never know their their..

as for the gas smell i would check your fuel lines and filter and make sure nothing is loose,,also if you have a mechanical fuel pump suspect a ruptured diaphram and its dumping fuel into the carb..
Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe Ground Issue?

Ok, before I open this webber $125 carb kit that really only has an accel pump and mine shoots a big stream already I am thinking that the gassy smell when i try to accelerate hard and weak spark maybe caused by a bad ground or weak coil. I do have a ground issue that I am getting ready to address so could that also cause the boat to only accelerate slow?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by DIRTYDOG
Ok, before I open this webber $125 carb kit that really only has an accel pump and mine shoots a big stream already I am thinking that the gassy smell when i try to accelerate hard and weak spark maybe caused by a bad ground or weak coil. I do have a ground issue that I am getting ready to address so could that also cause the boat to only accelerate slow?
Fix all wireing issues first before you start poaring money into the problem..if your timing is off that would cause the motor to be a pooch.