Notices

K-planes

Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-planes

1988 Wellcraft Concept 23ft
boat has a 454 with 400hr an a Bravo 1. runs 57ish has a 22P Bravo I SS 4 blade prop. now the Question is if i install billet K-planes will it benefit me in any way? on a side note motor is completely stock but its soon going to be 500hp. so whatcha got for me!?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

The biggest benefit of k-planes are to keep the boat running at the proper attitude in rough water. They can also reduce or eliminate chine walk or porposing.

Unless you are running in rough water frequently, I'd save my money.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

biggest issue is i want to go to some bigger lakes an just want to be ready. boat always leans left except if im the only 1 it. tabs would correct the problem? and want more stability at higher speeds.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cheek
1988 Wellcraft Concept 23ft
boat has a 454 with 400hr an a Bravo 1. runs 57ish has a 22P Bravo I SS 4 blade prop. now the Question is if i install billet K-planes will it benefit me in any way? on a side note motor is completely stock but its soon going to be 500hp. so whatcha got for me!?
I have K planes on my Baja. Same motor and drive. I don't even use them. Boat ran slower.I too run 57 with stock motor. When I trim boat with them .It slowed down. I guess you need big HP?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K-planes may be a little big, and pricey for that boat, but I have a set of Bennett Dual ram tabs that would be perfect that I would sell for a much more reasonable price, and will definitely fix your listing problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

but i want the k-planes!! and dont got a prob spending the G's to get them!!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

but i want the k-planes!! and dont got a prob spending the G's to get them!!
OK, your choice, just saying that they may look cool,but are overkill. I will paint the bennett's black if that will help convince you

To be honest with you, if you plan on running in big water, you may want to save your $$ and buy a more capable hull, I have run a 23 Wellcraft concept with a built 454 in some decent chop, and it is not the best hull for anything over 2'
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

i know but its all i got an lakes around here arnt all that large. i could go to Texoma or Lake Travis but each is 3hr's away. i kinda like the over kill look to be honest!!! what did u think about the concept? easy choose yo words wisely cause i kinda like it.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

i know but its all i got an lakes around here arnt all that large. i could go to Texoma or Lake Travis but each is 3hr's away. i kinda like the over kill look to be honest!!! what did u think about the concept? easy choose yo words wisely cause i kinda like it.
The concept is a good boat, for what it is, it is basically a modified bottom on a 23 wellraft cabin cruiser. The step hull is pretty cool, but still a shallow deadrise, and wont handle big water very well. the one my buddy had, the stringers were all rotten, I had to dig them out and replace. This wasnt too uncommon for late 80's wellcrafts, as I dont think they sealed any of the bolts going thru the stringers(at least not very well), might want to check yours for wetness before heading into anything too rough. The way the platform is set up, you have a plumbing nightmare to run thru hulls, or just run them out above the platform like we did. I agree on the overkill of the K-planes, but it IS a LOT of $$ to put on that boat, one other thing to remember when running a big plane on a small boat(especially K-planes as they have independant piumps) is that just the slightest tap of the switch, and the plate will drop a signifigant amount, it is a lot of pressure, and leverage on that small of a hull, the Bennets are more forgiving. I am mounting a K-plane style tab on my 24 pantera with a bennett ram and pump setup(read this as cheaper and more forgiving on a small boat), this is why I am selling the Bennets, I have a complete setup you could have for $250 vs. a few thousand $$ for K-planes.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I put a set off Eddie Marine billet trim tabs on mine. They work great and had them powder coated blue to match the rest of my boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.