Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water pressure on hose before engine ??? >

Water pressure on hose before engine ???

Notices

Water pressure on hose before engine ???

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pressure on hose before engine ???

What should the water pressure be on my 1 1/4 hose before the engine. The sensor is located in a Hardin 1 1/4 tee just before the inlet to the thermostat housing and after the Sea pump. Engine is a 500 EFI and I am still running the circ. water pump on the engine. I am seeing between 10-15lbs up and running at speed. I have checked for blockage everywhere and I just installed a new sea pump impeller and housing. Is this water pressure normal at this spot? I know most people mount the water pressure sender in the block and have different readings. Thanks, Jeff Wurl
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds perfect to me .....I have seen Relief Valves located there but as you stated most are mounted in the block ...either one of the block drain ports or some like it off the intake manifold to avoid mud/sand from the block ...thing about it though is because you run the circ pump you usually dont see pressure issues ...I think because you have the big thermostat housing that has the bypasses to the exhaust ....might not hurt to move it to the block .....m
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

That is fine. Nothing wrong with the pressure you are seeing. That engine runs temperature (about 175*-180*), so you can get away with a little less pressure. You don't want to exceed 25 psi, so you are right where you need to be. It has enough to keep the temp in check so it doesn't get to high, and not enough to lift the head gaskets. Don't worry. It's fine.
The circ pump isn't doing much once you are up and running. I would bet that the block pressure is the same that you are seeing just before the circ pump.
Eddie