Engine temps with cooler weather? >

Engine temps with cooler weather?

Notices

Engine temps with cooler weather?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You can slip a pipe bushing in there. Maybe start with a 3/4Npt X 1/4 npt bushing. If that is too small, then start drilling the center 1/4 npt portion out until you get what you want.
Eddie
Eddie! Always good for some awesome info! How ya been man?!? I have a good running boat thanks to you and RM builder. Got my oil system in tip top!

Jeff, How ya been as well!?! I was runnin yesterday. 50degrees and the ater was cold. I think i have a different style of thermostat housing and i have the gils with the big boy risers. she ran the exact same temps and 1mph faster. the cold air is prob the only thing that helped. but i did notice it took me a longer warmup to get my oil temp up to at least 140. prob from the cold water. mabye because it was 30 the night before and it just took longer to warm the olde girl up.

good luck jeff!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Wonder if you used a different temp sender to fool the ECU to go into closed loop mode? Used something simliar in my snowmobile. It was basically a trick air temp sensor. The snowmobiles EFI added fuel or subtracted fuel based upon air temp readings. Mine was designed to trick the ecu into thinking it was warmer out than it really was, which leaned the sled out a bit(they were pig rich from the factory). Woke the sled up quite a bit!!

Or maybe get some brass gate valves from the hardware store and plumb them in. Adjust the valves accordingly to restrict some water to the manifolds, but i'd watch water psi inside the block..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Good ideas, its only a problem a few times a year. Not a big deal until you want to race. I ran a 27' Advantage with a Merc (blue motor) 500HP and could not keep up. He said he was hitting 74. Just a few weeks ago I was hitting 74-75, now with the temps even cooler I could only hit 72. I was expecting to hit 76 for the first time, a little disapointing. I will experiment with the hoses in the spring.

I can set my targets for entering closed loop with the laptop. The engine runs good when cold, and if you change the target for entering closed loop to a lower temp it removes the cold temp enrichment. The engine likes it rich untill its warmed up.

Last edited by jeffswav; 11-02-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Good ideas, its only a problem a few times a year. Not a big deal until you want to race. I ran a 27' Advantage with a Merc (blue motor) 500HP and could not keep up. He said he was hitting 74. Just a few weeks ago I was hitting 74-75, now with the temps even cooler I could only hit 72. I was expecting to hit 76 for the first time, a little disapointing. I will experiment with the hoses in the spring.

I can set my targets for entering closed loop with the laptop. The engine runs good when cold, and if you change the target for entering closed loop to a lower temp it removes the cold temp enrichment. The engine likes it rich untill its warmed up.

I ran a sunsation single. dont know how long it was. prob anywhere from 24-28ft. it had a 454 with a whipple. we ran and i got him. not by much but a good little walk away. but i was running my 4 blade and the chine just annoys me. need to get my k-planes figured out and install my hydraulic steering.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
I ran a sunsation single. dont know how long it was. prob anywhere from 24-28ft. it had a 454 with a whipple. we ran and i got him. not by much but a good little walk away. but i was running my 4 blade and the chine just annoys me. need to get my k-planes figured out and install my hydraulic steering.
Some of the sunsations are narrow and light. I have one that I raced a few times with a 500HP and can't seem to beat him. He has about a mph on me.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a 180 thermostat with the holes ...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
put a 180 thermostat with the holes ...
I may try that also. The other thing I thought about was replacing the high flow thermostat with a regular (lower flow) thermostat. I would think it should retain water in the engine longer and dump more water through the bypass hose.