Water pump removed question. >

Water pump removed question.

Notices

Water pump removed question.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump removed question.

This motor is from another members boat.My question is how did he remove the engine water pump? It looks like it has a crome pipe there. How is the water circulated without a pump? Where can I buy it? Thanks Mike.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

He removed it by taking out the 4 bolts

Its called a crossover. The water is forced through the engine by the seapump. They can work well or they can create other issues.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered

Default crossover

Originally Posted by Griff
He removed it by taking out the 4 bolts

Its called a crossover. The water is forced through the engine by the seapump. They can work well or they can create other issues.
If you decide to switch back to a water pump and want to sell the crossover and thermostate housing PLEASE CONTACT ME!. I have been looking for a crossover for a little while now but just can't seem to get myself to part with the $275.00 for the crossover kit due to the minimal gains I'll see from it. I have everything you need to switch yours back to a circulating pump (pump, pulley, thermostate housing, hoses, etc...) if you want to trade. My circulating pump has 1 season on it also! Just a thought.
The only used crossover kit I have found that I was interested in was priced so high that it was only $25.00 more for me to buy a brand new one and not have to deal with buying replacement gaskets.
Anyway, let me know if this is something you might be interested in. Thanks, Mark
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered

The water will be circulated by a raw water or sea water pump mounted usually low and right (left as you look at the front) on the engine. This pump is belt driven and takes water direct from the drive pickup, transom pickup or sea strainer via either of these, and pumps it into the engine via the intake hose on the crossover which mounts in place of the circulating pump on the front of the engine (that chrome pipe you saw). If there is another pipe leading out of this to the thermostat housing on the intake manifold, this is the bypass for the exhaust cooling.
If you have a raw water pump, you do not need a circulating pump on the front but apprently it helps to regulate water pressure if you do have one.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you change over to one your going to need some new belts also. I like the clean look with the crossovers plus it eliminates one more thing to go out.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by carter38
If you change over to one your going to need some new belts also. I like the clean look with the crossovers plus it eliminates one more thing to go out.
Yea, I had assumed that there would be a belt or 2 to replace when adding a crossover. I'm in the process of doing a bunch of bolt-on upgrades to my motor right now (intake, carb, msd ignition, stainless marine exhaust, relocating the tips to above the water line, roller rockers, new fuel system, etc....) so I'm at that point where if I can get my hands on a crossover at a reasonable price, right now would be the time to do it while everything's apart and the rear seat assem. is out of the boat. I don't think I'm gonna want to deal with the crossover after I put everything back together. There's just not a lot of room in my engine compartment at the front of the motor because of the back seat and it's an absolute P.I.T.A. to remove!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Registered

Thanks. That is what I was thinking.No water pump.More room in engine compartment. Plus mine is starting to go.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

But it gives you one other possible problem, Water Pressure as in to much.

I have cross overs and probably going to go back to stock water pumps this spring. It keeps the temps more stable.

The HP gain is so minimal, its not worth it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have cross overs and probably going to go back to stock water pumps this spring. It keeps the temps more stable.

The HP gain is so minimal, its not worth it. Are you running a water line from the rear of the manifold to the front? Also are you running a thermostat?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el

The HP gain is so minimal, its not worth it. Are you running a water line from the rear of the manifold to the front? Also are you running a thermostat?
Yes I am running a thermostat with two holes drilled into it.
It's setup just like in the picture above. I only have them because they came on the original engines before I purchased the 502's.