Ignition Problem????? >

Ignition Problem?????

Notices

Ignition Problem?????

Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problem?????

502 Mag 91' model stock,got a bad shutter under power started hearing strange pop not like a backfire but sounded from in the motor itself. Couldnt tell anything unusual @ idle, no overheat, oil pressure good, just when I try to plane,motor shutters and makes this poppng noise. Ordered all new ignition parts less coil reckon this is good start. Only had boat since last June, never missed ever, Please dont let this be catatrophic right at the start of this good weather......... any other sugestions as to where and what else I should keep my eye on wondering bout the timing possibility it jumped? Engine fires on first turn still and idle to my best guess still normal, but this past weekend wanted to shut of while idleing round docking area but it cleared. Didnt think much more about it till now. Havent got to do anything in depth yet parts will be in Wendsday.... This probably dosen't sound like much but ....... HELP
Old 05-13-2002, 07:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Sounds to me like you are starting in the right direction. I too would suspect ignition problems, especially if the parts are old. How many hours are on the motor? A popping noise coming from the motor ( I will assume coming from the carb.) can also be signs of a bad valve or cam shaft. You may have to run a leak down or at least a compression test to tell for sure.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:45 PM
dockmech

check fuel filter in carb change remote filter aslo. you my have a bad plug wire but it sounds to me that when you have a load on the motor and it back fires this sounds like a lean condition to me. check gas tank vent and make sure it is not plugged with a mud wasp nest I have seen this alot.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Boat has 320hrs on it had new plugs last june, the noise didnt come through the carb, it has thru hull exhaust so it didnt build up much back pressure. I really couldnt tell exactly where the pop was coming from. I hope to know more tommorow. Im pretty sure shes not lean, but I throw that into the equation also. Parts will be in tommorow @ lunch. Sounds like a good reason to take off! This whole scenario has made me pretty sick

Last edited by jrocket; 05-14-2002 at 08:31 AM.