Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
fuel lines-what to use?? legal? >

fuel lines-what to use?? legal?

Notices

fuel lines-what to use?? legal?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i just sent the coast guard a email asking this. ok, the only arguement with the stainless braided lines is it could cause a spark? so how about nylon braided lines?

here is a link to some

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/632143/10002/-1
Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel hose

I'm a earls dealer in michigan. The coast guard wants marine fuel hoses to have a fire and permeation rating. This is a USCG type A-1 under deck rating. Stainless braided hose has not been tested by the manufactures for these tests. When a manufacture uses stainless braided hose in his boat the CG deams it a racing application. This has insurance issues. The hose is also designed for racing fuels. Pump gas has additives that can permerate thru the hose. If you boat is a family pleasure and is inspected buy the insurance company, You must use a USCG type A-1 hose.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

my insurance company has never seen my boat and never will. i have had the same compnay insuring my boats for 10 years and they have never seen a single boat or skee that i have had. i find it odd that a they use stainless lines in a airplane which has the some of the highest safety can use these lines or similar but people are saying that they are no acceptable for a boat? or a drag car... and in a car you can run a cheap crappy rubber hose... not saying anyone is wrong on this by any means, just seems odd to me that boats have such high standards and a car on the road could explode just as easily as a boat but doesnt have the high standards.

i have been boating since i was a little kid, i have owned boats and skees since i was in my teens and i or anyone i know has never once been stopped and checked for any of the common items by coast guard or the insurance company. they usually ask for registration and life jackets, tell me my boat is a little loud and send me on my way lol.

like i said i am not saying that anyone here is not correct and am not trying to start a argument. i am just wanting to know what fuel lines i need
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been stopped by the CG a few times, never had the fuel line questioned. They seemed to care more about the battery post being covered.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
can't see where the braided would be any different there as with solid steel that they like to use...
Hard line will not flex or move like SS braided line
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

With hard line you are stuck with brass fittings that do not flow at all and are restrictive.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Some stock merc fuel injection lines are braided SS.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

i am pretty sure i am using the traditional "AN" style braided lines. most people use them and from what i have read online they are not gonna be a issue.

next deal is a new fuel pick up.... any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
i am pretty sure i am using the traditional "AN" style braided lines. most people use them and from what i have read online they are not gonna be a issue.

Just remove the checkvalve and install a ANfitting on the pickup. I emailed you a picture of what someone else did, he seemed to think that worked well. I may change mine this winter.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
I just make my own. The stock pickup is nothing more than a plastic tube. The problem isn't so much the tube diameter. It isn't very big, but the hole in the aluminum fitting is only about 3/16". On top of that, when you screw an adapter fitting into it, you end up blocking half of the hole. I have seem them where the hole ends up being not much more than 1/8" when it's all said and done. I use 1/2" id S.S. tubing with a 3/8" x #10 90* SS fitting. First I bore out the pipe thread side of the fitting so that it is also 1/2". That is why I use SS, so it is still strong enough after boring the fitting. Then the tube is tig welded in place. This is enough pickup to support over 1000 hp.
I would be glad to make one for you if you need it.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails fuel lines-what to use?? legal?-fuel-pickup1.jpg   fuel lines-what to use?? legal?-fuel-pickup2.jpg   fuel lines-what to use?? legal?-fuel-pickup3.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.