Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Raw water pumps-will this work? >

Raw water pumps-will this work?

Notices

Raw water pumps-will this work?

Old 05-14-2002, 07:53 AM
DanL

Default Raw water pumps-will this work?

I have 2 Eickert prototype dual impellor pumps, but they won't accept the Eickert 1 1/4 single outlet from the pump to the cooler. It has (2) 1"npt outlets, one for each impellor. Heres how they were plumbed originally: raw water pickup to 2 log style oil coolers, then to the sea strainers, then to the pump, THEN, one side of the pump fed the port side on the block and the other fed the stbd block inlet, kinda trick, eliminating a crossover, then a normal t-stat outlet to the headers. Now, I have the dual oil cooler Eickert bellhousings. Eickert says feed one line to the bottom of one side of the cooler from the pump, then to the block inlet, and feed the other cooler on the other side the same way and then up to the block. One cooler is the engine oil, the other is the trans. My first concern is that if I'm feeding raw water to the oil cooler, then up to the port side of the block with that water, wouldn't the water be hotter on that side than the water feeding the stbd side through the trans cooler?I'm assuming the trans runs cooler. Eickert says that the balance tube in the bottom of the bell housing between the coolers should mix the 2 sides of water coming in, but I'm skeptical, plus, these are all aluminum engines. So, my question: Can I bring raw water into the sea strainer, then to the top of the bell housing on one side, then out the top of the bell housing on the oppsite side, then down to the pump and up to the block? The question has to do with the pump pulling the water through the strainers, then uphill, then through the coolers befor it gets any water. Eickert wants 800. dealer cost for new pumps and I'm gonna use these one way or another.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

HI Dan , Not sure if you could PULL that much .Don't think so . I do know from experience don't run water through anything including pump without first going through GOOD sea strainers ! That pump cost too much to be ripped up by sand ! And the sea wead wil plug coolers real quick . I had my intercoolers get plugged up .They were plumbed in line with everything else . When they restricted flow the motors got hot and BOOM !! I think that the trans temp may run close to oil temp .I can't remember for sure but I THINK my Huber 1330's do . Good luck ! JOE
Old 05-15-2002, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, I agree with Joe, If you are going through all that trouble to do it right, you need to first pull water through strainers, then to coolers then to block and overboard. The water moves through the coolers so quickly it wont heat up enough to make a difference at the block. Good Luck, MFB
Old 05-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you can do this or not, but just a little restriction will burn the impellors up, so I wouldn't want to try it especially with an all aluminum motor. For what you've got invested you're better off spending a little more now to do it right than a lot more to fix the mess.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have two coolers in my bell housing as well. water goes from strainer to raw pump suction, discharging through trans cooler than over to oil cooler than to circ. pump suction. if you try plumbing your engines through the bellhousing on the suction side, in my opinion, you will go through impellors if it works at all. you won't have enough head pressure to fill the housing and lines before you fire the pumps and will be spinning dry before they get primed. you pump suction will be have to be pulling through a lot more surface area than if just through hose and strainer. some guys on this board have even smoked impellors witha positive pressure of a garden hose hooked up.
i agree with Eickert as to the plumbing. the water temp differential shouldn't be noticable.