Notices

496 Gm 8.1

Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 496 Gm 8.1

I'm familiar with the traditional BBC motor, but I know nothing of the GM 8.1. I can pick up a couple of long blocks fairly cheap, but

1) are they worth anything?

2) can you add any sort of traditional performance parts to them (ignition, cam, carb., etc.), and

3) how do the truck lower ends compare to the marine versions (any differences at all in the lower end, and if so, what are they)?

They seem like a nightmare to stay away from, needing a bunch of electronics and being stuck with the traditional efi systems that they come with, but i wanted to get a run down on them before I pass them by.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dart has some new heads that look like they make good power.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Discontinued...cast rotating assy...junk.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Registered

A few different "kits" for them......

http://www.raylarengine.com/

makes one and I believe Tyler Crockett has done some research and has some heads and cam available for them.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered

Hahaha... So much love for these motors!!!

What I was more or less looking for were answers as to whether or not I had to run the factory coil pack ignitions, if there are aftermarket carbed intake manifolds available (there's no way in hell I'm paying $2k + for an after market EFI system... I'd rather just build a 540), and whether the GM lower ends (truck lower ends) used forged parts or the same cast junk.

I think I have most of my answers. I talked to people at JE and Wisco and they can make me pretty much anything I want. From what I gather the JE forged pistons are better than the Wiscos, but both are a significant upgrade from stock. For the cost of the forged upgrade kit I can buy a 502 block and a 540 forged stroker kit. Seems silly to me... And with these 8.1 blocks being discontinued there isn't likely going to be anything coming down the pike on them...
Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Hahaha... So much love for these motors!!!

What I was more or less looking for were answers as to whether or not I had to run the factory coil pack ignitions, if there are aftermarket carbed intake manifolds available (there's no way in hell I'm paying $2k + for an after market EFI system... I'd rather just build a 540), and whether the GM lower ends (truck lower ends) used forged parts or the same cast junk.

I think I have most of my answers. I talked to people at JE and Wisco and they can make me pretty much anything I want. From what I gather the JE forged pistons are better than the Wiscos, but both are a significant upgrade from stock. For the cost of the forged upgrade kit I can buy a 502 block and a 540 forged stroker kit. Seems silly to me... And with these 8.1 blocks being discontinued there isn't likely going to be anything coming down the pike on them...
Dart has heads for the 8.1 they also are making a duel plane and a single plane manifold so you can use a carburator on or it will have access to put a throttlebody on and use injectors. Dart also will have 4.375, 4.500, and 4.750 stroke cranks availible also.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Registered

plane and simple...not worth the aggrivation for any real performance application...