Notices

XR Damage

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
My opinion is to replace the XR gears with X gears. Properly setup and driven with respect, it will out live the XR at your power level in my opinion.

Dick
So if we did this and considering the reduction on this drive is done in the lower...

What X gearset would you install in the upper to make the 1.5 work?

Or, are you assuming that you'd just get a 1.5 upper set and then buy a 1 to 1 set for the bottom?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 737jetmech
$1100 ... is a good price ... they list for 1900 ish . I paid 1280 per set and thought that was good . Price didn't include any bearings .
The guy i bought the drive from quoted me that price to help me out.

I got the drive with no warranty while still new.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Tell me where I can buy NEW gear sets for 1100.00 and I will buy 2 sets right now !!!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Tell me where I can buy NEW gear sets for 1100.00 and I will buy 2 sets right now !!!!!!
I don't think you can. I never meant to imply that you or someone else can...

The guy I bought my drive from offered to sell them for that price after I gave him my sob story...

He's probably smart enough to know I would not need more than one. LOL..

I hear ya though! I have friends in the industry and his price is about 200 bucks cheaper than what they could do for me.

And I mow his yard every week for food only!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
When mine broke it had less than 20 hours on it . I took the lower apart and checked for parts and everything was good. Cleaned it and put it back together. Running Imco lowers so I guess I got lucky as well. It broke 1 tooth and rolled it threw the gear set which pushed the cap off and broke the housing . 1 phone call to Gavin marine & $3200 (at the time, now 4200) later I was good to go. Best of luck Jeff
So you too bought a brand new one with no warranty?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks just like a gear set I have sitting in the garage now. Only mine didnt make 80 hours. You wont get the XR gears to last, especially when running any kind of power.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

I thought that was the whole point of going to an XR from a standard Bravo. I went for 5 years with a 468 with around 500 HP in a Hammer. Moved up to a 555 with 610 HP and at the end of the first season had some pretty heavy metal attached to the magnet. I purchased an XR with a -2 Sportmaster and all seemed to be well at the end of the season. Am I doomed to failure as well or is the weight of the boat a factor?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
I thought that was the whole point of going to an XR from a standard Bravo. I went for 5 years with a 468 with around 500 HP in a Hammer. Moved up to a 555 with 610 HP and at the end of the first season had some pretty heavy metal attached to the magnet. I purchased an XR with a -2 Sportmaster and all seemed to be well at the end of the season. Am I doomed to failure as well or is the weight of the boat a factor?
Less than 6000 LBS loaded and I bought it for the same reason you did.

I can't say you will have same problem but I will say you better keep your eye on it.

Cost less to fix if you catch it before it comes apart.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDFever
I don't think you can. I never meant to imply that you or someone else can...

The guy I bought my drive from offered to sell them for that price after I gave him my sob story...

He's probably smart enough to know I would not need more than one. LOL..

I hear ya though! I have friends in the industry and his price is about 200 bucks cheaper than what they could do for me.

And I mow his yard every week for food only!!!

you forgot about grooming his dog and washing his truck
Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered

It sounds to me like Mr G has the hot ticket with changing out the xr gears to x gears. Anyone know the cost of an x gear set?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.