Need and Engine Expert >

Need and Engine Expert

Notices

Need and Engine Expert

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbkski
Your thinking is somewhat "bass ackwards". If you drain all the water out of your block making
sure that the drain holes are clear then go ahead and put them back in. You can't fill the block
through the big hose "until it overflows out of the thermostat housing" since it is lower than
the thermostat assembly. It will be close to full but not quite. YES this will be O.K. for the
block but not for other things.
How is it lower than the "thermostat assembly" if it removed from the thermostat assembly and filled from there,I can remove the hose,pull up on it a little and pour a/f in the hose until it overflows out of the thermostat housing,is it broken?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered

Dude you're now arguing for the sake of arguing. It is lower by an inch or two.
I don't worry about that little void at the top of the block since I run an additional
2 gallons of antifreeze through the system using the "bucket method" after I manually
fill the block. If you can pull up on the hose, hold a funnel, and pour a jug of antifreeze
without making a mess in your bilge then go for it.
Not arguing a thing,just making sure I did it right ,it is a project boat,with just the engine and exhaust sitting in the boat,no drive,raw water pump ect,again I was just asking if it would be o.k. with the method I described,sorry you took it that way.thanks for your help.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Registered

If that is the case then I would remove the thermostat housing assembly and pour
the antifreeze directly into the opening. That will get it the "fullest". A project engine
should have it's thermostats replaced. What you did is fine.
Thanks D-ski.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin-Bryan
Thanks for your response,but my question was for the engine only,would this be o.k. ?anyone else?
I do it pretty much like you do Brian except as said go ahead and close the block drains after it has drained. Then I completely remove the thermostat housing. Leaving the big hose connected to the water pump I then pour in the antifreeze, (into the big hose) until it fills the block and comes up to where the thermostat housing bolts on to the intake manifold. Been doing it like that for 22 years with out a problem.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by superboat1982
I have two questions:
1.) How many water drain plugs are on a 454 Bowtie block casting #10051107? I can only see one on the starter side but want to be sure for winterizing
2.) Approx how much antifreeze does the block itself hold if pouring in from the intake manifold?

I would appreciate your help
If you live anywhere up north and just now thinking about this is to late......2cents
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I pulled my motor this year before winterizing. Took manifolds off. Drained everything and filled the block through thermostat housing. Took about 3.5 gallons.