AN hose sizes for cooling.

Notices

AN hose sizes for cooling.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AN hose sizes for cooling.

2 Quick questions for the masses:

1) What size (-AN) do people normally run for hoses from T-stat to the Exhaust (CMI) distribution tube. and

2) What size fitting is on the end of the distribution tube. Looks like 3/4" to me but what thread are they normally? (NPT etc)

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

I would say -12 but to be sure here's a chart..
http://www.gre6.com/ansize
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I used 12AN
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

How do you go from the T-Stat housing with about 22mm diameter on the outlets to the AN hose (-12) if it's ~18mm? Or do you need to modify the t-stat housing for an AN fitting (weld on?)
My current hose is 22mm ID (AN-16?), would reducing it to -12 possibly result in an increase in water pressure? If so, where is the best place to plumb in a pressure dump? I'm thinking of the ports at the back of the intake manifold into a T then dumping overboard. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
How do you go from the T-Stat housing with about 22mm diameter on the outlets to the AN hose (-12) if it's ~18mm? Or do you need to modify the t-stat housing for an AN fitting (weld on?)
My current hose is 22mm ID (AN-16?), would reducing it to -12 possibly result in an increase in water pressure? If so, where is the best place to plumb in a pressure dump? I'm thinking of the ports at the back of the intake manifold into a T then dumping overboard. Any other suggestions?
I used the EMI kit, came with the crossover, thermostat housing and bypass hose. It had all the correct fittings welded on. http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=11564&c=52

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=11552&c=40
Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I just run 1" hose from the thermostat to the exhaust. -12 is only 3/4" ID and I have found it to small in some applications. The 1" hose is a very easy setup and much cheaper than an hose.
Eddie
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Thanks all!
I run 1" at the moment and I'll need to find an adaptor or make one to fit the 1" pipe to the threaded fitting on the distribution tube I guess.

Cheers,
John
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Should be 3/4" npt on the exhaust distribution tube. Check with CP Performance. They have some SS fittings that are 3/4" npt X 1" hose barb.
Also, the OD of the 3/4" npt fitting is right at 1". I have used jsut a 3/4" npt nipple and slipped the hose on it in a pinch. The threads actually do a good job of giving the hose something to bite into.
Eddie