Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
meth injection >

meth injection

Notices

meth injection

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meth

GT Marine runs that set up in there 1,600 HP monster. The one that ran 178 MPH at Desert storm. sick motors!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
or just spray water from 4 to 7 and meth from 7 +

methanol eats everything , may want to check out that fresh water tank first .... dont want to spring a leak and have it run to the Bilge they say it burns good
ya that wouldnt be a good thing! Would plain water be suffice as a supplement to cool things down, or is methanol a necessity on a low boost app? I know some kits do the mix of water/methonal (windshield washer juice)?

i like the guys at Ice injection, running a blown 565 at 14psi making gobs of horsepower and a mild hyd roller cam! 300+ hours and still ran great? That sounds like a winning setup!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stuff works great, as stated just run windshield washer fluid, works awsome, I actually built my own kit 40 years ago on a supercharged S/B ford street car I was playing with...thinking about doing the same with my pro-charger
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo sleds

dont compare them to a boat motor we spray 1.5 gallons every 2 mins per motor when them Red lites are on and layin into the boost ..good luck
Different application than what you guys do. If the red lite comes on, the system is still safe as the procharger was designed to run at 5PSI. Its just an insurance policy.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
ya that wouldnt be a good thing! Would plain water be suffice as a supplement to cool things down, or is methanol a necessity on a low boost app? I know some kits do the mix of water/methonal (windshield washer juice)?

i like the guys at Ice injection, running a blown 565 at 14psi making gobs of horsepower and a mild hyd roller cam! 300+ hours and still ran great? That sounds like a winning setup!
Rudys got it worked out in the boat application thats 4 sure ,never tried wind wash juice but it all boils down to how much meth you have on board , i guess if you stop for fuel on the water can alwayz grab 20 or 40 bottles of windshield wash

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 12-21-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
That is WildWarriors boat. 377 Hustler Talon, by no means a fast hull, has been north of 160mph on that setup. I went for a ride on it at 147mph with 5 guys on board and two full tanks of fuel. Still pulling hard when we threw a blower belt.

They spray straight methanol in those engines. Rudy just pulled them out with 300 hours each because "it just seemed like time". Leakdowns are still great though.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use water or meth, or any combination of the two. I personally prefer to use straight meth for performance reasons, but water does have some advantages... such as cost, availability, and lack of flammability. Windshield washer fluid typically has about 15% to 20% meth in it and works fine for most basic applications. Whatever you set the system up for, you should stick with the same going forward as the AF ratio of the engine is often tuned around the meth system... well at least it should be to get the most out of the system.

All the systems I've setup use a GM MAP sensor and a progressive controller. You can set the turn on point, the rate of ramp up and the pressure. With a system like this, kicking the system on at 3 psi and ramping it up from there is easy and pretty seamless up to max boost. But even a very basic system can be done w/o the progressive controller, but you dont want to kick it on too low and it leaves some power, tuneability, and control on the table.

As mentioned, it's not hard to add some safeties in the system. The safeties become important as you start adding more and more meth (it becomes a significant portion of your fuel needs and a failure would cause a lean condition). Some may say, just tune the engine w/o the system and then spray on top of the existing tune. The problem with this is it fattenes everything up and you lose power as the mixture gets more and more rich. IMO, the safest way to use this is in small quantities. It doesn't take much to cool the charge and add a little octane (if you're using meth), but with a small shot of it on an engine that is tuned for it will not lean it out too much if the system were to fail. BUT, after you see what a larger shot of straight meth can do over pump gas, the rewards can be HUGE when everything is tuned for it. My street car can make 1200+ hp with meth and pump gas... I'd never try it w/o the meth! I'm sure I could push it further, but no need to.

Meth injection has a ton of potential and works amazingly, but you have to understand a system failure would need to be caught quickly or it could cost you your engine in a matter of seconds!

Last edited by SS930; 12-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember reading an old post here where some guy did a water injection that was plumbed into his cooling system? Think he had it tapped into the sea strainer.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS930
You can use water or meth, or any combination of the two. I personally prefer to use straight meth for performance reasons, but water does have some advantages... such as cost, availability, and lack of flammability. Windshield washer fluid typically has about 15% to 20% meth in it and works fine for most basic applications. Whatever you set the system up for, you should stick with the same going forward as the AF ratio of the engine is often tuned around the meth system... well at least it should be to get the most out of the system.

All the systems I've setup use a GM MAP sensor and a progressive controller. You can set the turn on point, the rate of ramp up and the pressure. With a system like this, kicking the system on at 3 psi and ramping it up from there is easy and pretty seamless up to max boost. But even a very basic system can be done w/o the progressive controller, but you dont want to kick it on too low and it leaves some power, tuneability, and control on the table.

As mentioned, it's not hard to add some safeties in the system. The safeties become important as you start adding more and more meth (it becomes a significant portion of your fuel needs and a failure would cause a lean condition). Some may say, just tune the engine w/o the system and then spray on top of the existing tune. The problem with this is it fattenes everything up and you lose power as the mixture gets more and more rich. IMO, the safest way to use this is in small quantities. It doesn't take much to cool the charge and add a little octane (if you're using meth), but with a small shot of it on an engine that is tuned for it will not lean it out too much if the system were to fail. BUT, after you see what a larger shot of straight meth can do over pump gas, the rewards can be HUGE when everything is tuned for it. My street car can make 1200+ hp with meth and pump gas... I'd never try it w/o the meth! I'm sure I could push it further, but no need to.

Meth injection has a ton of potential and works amazingly, but you have to understand a system failure would need to be caught quickly or it could cost you your engine in a matter of seconds!
a system failure would need to be caught quickly !!!!!
DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ever heard of a thingy called a KNOCK SENSOR
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a system failure would need to be caught quickly !!!!!
DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ever heard of a thingy called a KNOCK SENSOR
I sure have and I wouldn't want to rely on just a KS to save my engine! Most KS systems on big HP engines are non factory installed (but use GM parts) and can be decent tools. They are often glued or bolted to the engine where ever they can conveniently be placed and often with little tuning or filtering in place. To work correctly they basically need a trained person to set them up properly and get them integrated into the ECU correctly if the system is to be active... If not they will often give a lot of false signals. And I've also seen a lot of them not even setup to do anything when knock is sensed! Even passive KS systems have some value if the operator knows what they are looking for and keeps a close eye on things.

I like to think of them as a good tuning tool, but I wouldn't bet my big dollar engine on just an aftermarket KS system!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.