Notices

Sony Subwoofer Installation

Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Step one.

But who reads directions?
Funny you should say that... I actually for once did.... All it gives are precautions.... the only thing that gives any type of directions is...
-Make a woofer box, using wooden boards at least 3/4" thick

Other than that is just a picture I scanned in below..... Thats it....
Attached Thumbnails Sony Subwoofer Installation-scan0001.jpg   Sony Subwoofer Installation-img_1828.jpg   Sony Subwoofer Installation-img_1829.jpg  

Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The install in the pics shows a free air install, not a sealed box. It also shows they are suitable for a free air install on crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158L100...5M.html?tp=972
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most marine subs are marketed as free air, but will sound horrible if done that way. Any box even if too smalll is better. Put some pillow stuffing in it and that will fake it out. Trust me on this I use to design this stuff. The sub needs an encloser so that it can create pressure behind it or it will flutter and "free air". You will end up making your amps work real hard for very little sound. This will drain your batts pretty quick.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Most marine subs are marketed as free air, but will sound horrible if done that way. Any box even if too smalll is better. Put some pillow stuffing in it and that will fake it out. Trust me on this I use to design this stuff. The sub needs an encloser so that it can create pressure behind it or it will flutter and "free air". You will end up making your amps work real hard for very little sound. This will drain your batts pretty quick.
Thanks for the input. That some how makes some logical sense to me... Whats the rule of thumb for how big the box needs to be? I assume it must be in a volumetric units....
Jr.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most marine subs are marketed as free air, but will sound horrible if done that way. Any box even if too smalll is better. Put some pillow stuffing in it and that will fake it out. Trust me on this I use to design this stuff. The sub needs an encloser so that it can create pressure behind it or it will flutter and "free air".
I'm installing a JL free air sub in my boat. Was going to go free air install, but I have a FG enclosed storage compartment I/m going to use. Remove the door and frame and install a flat acrylic panel in place to mount the sub. I think the volume is roughly 1 1/2-2 cubic feet. Didn't do an exact measurement, just guesstimated.
What does the pillow stuffing do and do you pack it full or just line the walls? Or is that only to do with mounting free air style?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I'm installing a JL free air sub in my boat. Was going to go free air install, but I have a FG enclosed storage compartment I/m going to use. Remove the door and frame and install a flat acrylic panel in place to mount the sub. I think the volume is roughly 1 1/2-2 cubic feet. Didn't do an exact measurement, just guesstimated.
What does the pillow stuffing do and do you pack it full or just line the walls? Or is that only to do with mounting free air style?
If you have that much room make sure you go no larger and a cube and a half. Less than a cube of air the stuffing works great. It actually tricks the speaker into acting like there is greater airspace in the box by absorbing some of the pressure like a bigger box would do. It works great in tight spots but if you have enough space it works against you.
Those Sony's will sound like azz without a box. You will barely know they are there.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have that much room make sure you go no larger and a cube and a half. Less than a cube of air the stuffing works great. It actually tricks the speaker into acting like there is greater airspace in the box by absorbing some of the pressure like a bigger box would do. It works great in tight spots but if you have enough space it works against you.
Those Sony's will sound like azz without a box. You will barely know they are there.
I agree, however I have had sucess with free air set ups....just have to have the right boat.

The big thing with free air is to make sure the air from the back of the woofer can not meet the air from the front, they will cancel each other out. More work than most people think.

A box always works better. And if you do have the room ported bass works much better in the open air of a boat, band pass even better.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Can I glass a box together using 1/2" marine ply instead of 3/4"... I only have 1/2" and hate to buy more....
Jr.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

maybe if you galss the whole thing in but would be cheaper and easier to just get more mfd. Plywood is not really that good for sub boxes. Not really dense enough. MFD is the way to go and you can spray it with truck bde liner in a can to somewhat weather proof it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.