500 EFI alignment >

500 EFI alignment

Notices

500 EFI alignment

Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 500 EFI alignment

I was looking at mt 500 efi's today and trying to figure out where to adjust them to get the alignment straight. The mount appears to be a solid mount with no adjustment? There is an aluminum plate bolted to the stringers theN 3 bolts going through it and the motor mount cradle.

Ther has to be a place to adjust this. Where would it be?

The boat is an 01 353.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my boat is the same way.... i just pit motors back in today and asked the same question...
i was told that they really cant be adjusted unless u put new mounts... so just hope the factory did it correctly.
luckily mine lined up good and the al tool went in easily.
if it doesn't go in easy and u still get the drive on i believe it will eat up coupler teeth.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

they should have been aligned when they were installed. solid mounts like that require the engine be aligned and then the mounts drilled. unless the stringer is rotted there should be no need to move them. what makes you think they need realigned?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did some more research it appears they are the offshore mounts. I was going to get an alignment tool and check it but was confused as how to adjust it. That would suck having to get new mounts!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If for some reason the alignment is off, though it should never move once set with offshore mounts, you can adjust the front end of the engine by opening up the mount's bolt holes, moving the entire mount up/down, then retightening when aligned. After you do this, drill another smaller hole on both sides of the mount through the stringer or piece of angle that secures the mount to the boat and through bolt it. This will act as a pin adn keep the mount from moving out of adjustment on the widened holes.

But if your front alignement is moving with offshore mounts, you may have an underlying issue that needs to be looked into.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your rear mounts and how they are installed.

Thats where the problem usually is with offshore mounts,,,,unless like said above you have stringer issues or something else changed