Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hit Someting HARD!!!!!!!! >

Hit Someting HARD!!!!!!!!

Notices

Hit Someting HARD!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2002, 10:19 PM
patrick22309

Default Hit Someting HARD!!!!!!!!

Used my ALPHA as a depth finder today and busted the vertical drive shaft just above the upper units lower seal leaving the top on the shaft in the upper unit. The gears all look ok and the lower spins ok. What is my cheapest route??? Have the shaft replaced in the lower and the the remaining shaft removed from the upper or buy a rebuilt lower? Also, where can you get the fancy tools to work on the drives. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.........

Old 05-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The tools needed are very expensive and seting up a drive is not easy. Have a shop do it.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:51 PM
cast

Default tools and books

we can sell you the tool and book for 15% over cost and the part

Old 05-27-2002, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take a close look at what's left

Usually a hit hard enough to snap the shaft already twisted the input drive shaft and the prop shaft. Before you spend any money on the repair you need to look for twisted splines on the shafts behind the engine coupler and in front of the prop.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

I have seen several Alphas break that shaft with NO other damage at all. If everything checks out all right you can just do a R&R on that shaft without any reshimming, thereby eliminating the need for many of the most expensive tools. However, if you can find a pro with the right tools that you can trust to do only what you need and not sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, take it there cause this is the perfect time to get fresh seals, waterpump, etc. That should be lots cheaper than a replacement unit unless you have the right kind of ins. and then you don't care. Good luck! ---- Jer
Old 05-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Call John Richardson in Norfolk VA. He'll have ya fixed up in no time and you wont get screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His # is 757 739-5196
Tell him DanB sent ya
Old 05-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

There is a guy on ebay motors that advertises for about 700 plus trade in you can have a rebuilt unit. I have not dealt with him. I do not know if his work is any good. I got burnt with a internet fuelk line that looked good and had a good guarantee until the line leaked. Be ware of internet rip offs.

That is the cheapest that i have seen. please let us know what you find. My outdrive might be next.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:49 PM
patrick22309

Default Update.......

The splines on all the input and prop shafts are straingt. I will take it to a shop this week and see what they can do.

Old 05-27-2002, 05:53 PM
patrick22309

Default Parts ????? Gear Ratio

If I was to locate another lower unit, do I need to worry about gear ratio or is that determined by the upper unit? Thanks for all the great info.....

Old 05-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

Default lower alpha gears

all the lower alpha gears are 1.65 ratio. The total drive ratio is made up in the upper. The 1.5 ratio drive uses a 20/22 tooth upper gear set which drops the 1.65 down 10% to 1.5. I've seen the type 1 lowers bolted to alpha uppers. Merc used the lower unit with the rounded back on the first alphas in 1983. The older MR drive's vertical shaft has 8 splines and won't adapt but the type one will. You can usually tell the older ones from the phillips head bolts holding the cap down instead of the 12 point 3/8" hex.

Quick Reply: Hit Someting HARD!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.