Like Tree0Likes

502/450 hp gm blocks whats the mystery ?

Reply
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
My Boats: 86' Fountain 10 Meter
Posts: 84
Default 502/450 hp gm blocks whats the mystery ?

Ok somebody explain to me what the difference between a 502/450 HO gm crate motor and a 502/450 gm crate marine motor other than the slight cam difference,brass freeze plugs,and a 8.1 oil pan versus the 6.0 on the HO. If you look at the specs in the gm performance catalog they are nearly identical. They HO even has the composite head gaskets w/stainless fire rings and brass freeze plugs . I'm more less talking the rotating assemblies and blocks. The consensus I'm getting is like 50/50 some say they are built with different tolerences and some say no difference. Somebody fill me in please. This seems to be a huge mystery in the marine world.
Duck Diggler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
  #2
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
My Boats: 86' Fountain 10 Meter
Posts: 84
Default

Hmm, The mystery continues
Duck Diggler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: west of chitown, il
My Boats: cruiser atm
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Diggler View Post
Hmm, The mystery continues
not everything diff but the biggies are the valves, the cam, oil pan, dist, carb. do a search been covered alot
mr3dman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
My Boats: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console
Posts: 4,377
Default

1st off GM does NOT assemble the marine engines, they are sub contracted out, and are sold with NO GM warranty, that is left up to the marine division that ultimatly sells the unit, they sell the automotive with a 3 year or so warranty thru GM dealers as long as you supply a vin thats usable. the engines them self are not that much different, camshaft, head gaskets, valves in most cases...
ezstriper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 PM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
HaxbySpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
1st off GM does NOT assemble the marine engines, they are sub contracted out, and are sold with NO GM warranty, that is left up to the marine division that ultimatly sells the unit, they sell the automotive with a 3 year or so warranty thru GM dealers as long as you supply a vin thats usable. the engines them self are not that much different, camshaft, head gaskets, valves in most cases...
Wrong... GM Powertrain builds the marine and industrial engines and they come with a one year factory warranty.. As far as that 502, the only difference is the cam.
The same short block gets used for all the GM performance crate engines and marine. The short block is a good deal and with a set of AFR's and a good cam (Bob M) 650-700hp is no problem.
HaxbySpeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed View Post
GM Powertrain builds the marine and industrial engines and they come with a one year factory warranty.. As far as that 502, the only difference is the cam.
The same short block gets used for all the GM performance crate engines and marine.
That is absolutely correct.
cubicinches is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
  #7
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,618
Default

I have verified with Mercury Racing that only the blue motors are rebuilt by Merc - the black motors simply have whatever parts GM puts in them. Regular Eaton valves are used, probably not inconel, although Eaton does make an inconel valve, and I have seen it documented that GM started using inconel exhaust valves in some of their later model medium duty truck engines due to valve recession in severe duty applications. It is unclear if that was extended over to the marine engines.
Budman II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
My Boats: 86' Fountain 10 Meter
Posts: 84
Default

Now there the answers I'm looking for. I was told by a good friend to buy a short block zz502 put a set of decent heads and he said the cam that comes in the block is identical to the HP500 cam,He suggested a set of heads from arrowhead a perfomer intake and a holley 800 and it should be real close to 500hp Now he also said the 6 quart oil pan was more than suffient for how I was going to use the boat, I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. I'm on a real tight budget for this project and we priced it out and I can build both of these motors for a hair above 15 grand
Duck Diggler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
My Boats: Checkmate 251 Convincor(sold),Checkmate 253 Convincor(sold), 50 gibson, 21 Eliminator Daytona, 25 Sportcraft Center Console
Posts: 4,377
Default

sorry but you guys are wrong..I had a issue with a new GM marine engine..talked to several people within GM with help from my local chevy dealer...ended up talking to a very good guy at GM powertrain..he told me in fact they do NOT assemble any marine engines themselves, they have a subcontractor shop that assembles ALL the complete engine and they are sold with NO warranty thru GM, was also told tghe same thing from crusader, the warrenty is up to whoever marinizes them is the warranty holder..if you do not believe me contact GM powertain, or a dealer and try to get warranty on a "marine" engine

Last edited by ezstriper; 04-30-2011 at 09:13 AM.
ezstriper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
HaxbySpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
sorry but you guys are wrong..I had a issue with a new GM marine engine..talked to several people within GM with help from my local chevy dealer...ended up talking to a very good guy at GM powertrain..he told me in fact they do NOT assemble any marine engines themselves, they have a subcontractor shop that assembles ALL the complete engine and they are sold with NO warranty thru GM, was also told tghe same thing from crusader, the warrenty is up to whoever marinizes them is the warranty holder..if you do not believe me contact GM powertain, or a dealer and try to get warranty on a "marine" engine
You have your facts a little confused.. The last half dozen or so marine long blocks I bought came with a 1 year GM factory warranty.. If you buy an engine fom a powertrain dealer you will have a warranty through them as they are the re-seller. The general public cannot buy directly from GM powertrain. GM does not sell complete marine engines but the base engines are all GM, some are assembled in the US and some in Mexico. If you bought a GM performance engine there is no warranty if used for marine.
HaxbySpeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.