Weird oil leak? >

Weird oil leak?

Notices

Weird oil leak?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird oil leak?

My motor is pretty fresh, less than 20 hours since rebuild. A couple hours after running the motor in the boat (second or third time out). I notied a oil leak and it seemed to be coming from the balancer seal, as it looked like oil was being slung off the balancer into the bilge and onto the engine cover.

I recently changed the seal with a new one and checked the fit over the balancer shaft to be good. took the boat out and the sombitsh is still slinging oil. It only seems to leak at high rpm's, 4000 plus. It seems to be pressure related but I have open baffles on the valve covers and no oil comes out of those and its not blowing out of the dip stick either.
The oil pan bolts are tight, timing cover bolts are tight and its a fairly new balancer so it does not have a groove in it.

Could it still be pressure related? Should I have baffles with the hoses going to the flame arrestor? Any other ideas?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many times it will leak past the crank keyway. Mine did when rebuilt. Oil would fling out between the balance and pulley. Was a real PITA tracking down. Removed the crank bolt/washer and squirted some silicone RTV in the keyway. No more leaks. Seemed to be a common leak source by many when I was researching it.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered

Thanks, I've heard that before but it sounded far fetch, but I'll check it out.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, if you blast the bolt and washer off just squirt some silicone into the keyway area and then tighten the washer back down on it.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

should be two bolt holes on the front of the block , just to the right of the balancer. check to make sure they are plugged off. I believe its the top hole that goes through to the oil gally way and will leak at high rpms only.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

This sh!t is still leaking. I'm lost on it. I replaced the front crank balancer seal. the old one looked fine. I checked the keyway and all of that is dry. That oil plugs are tight and with sealant on them. I had some loose pan bolts but not that loose, have since tightened and still leaking.This is a PITA. If it was PCV related, how could I check that. I have open baffled breathers on both valve covers but oil does not drip down them, nor does it blow out of the dip stick. I might just have to pull the motor and reseal everything....
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have no idea where it is coming from, then the best thing to do is to get a dye kit. You put a dye in the oil, and after running the boat for a few minutes, you look around the engine with a special light. The kits are pretty reasonable and they actually work very good. Clean up the bilge as good as you can so there is no left over oil. I like to use Gunk engine degreaser.
Just run the boat for very short bursts and check it every few minutes. I promise you will find it pretty quickly. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered

Dam good idea. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

The dye worked great; I ended up useing a 18" blacklight to see the dye. It made it a off white instead of green.

I have a Hardin 10qrt pan with the kickouts. It has a tab/bracket welded to the front, for the sea pump 'tension bracket'. I guess there is a crack in a weld because that is where it is coming from. I had my friend JB, weld it for now.