Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
you might beable to make this work

Teague or bds prob makes a cast version cheaper,or something like itick"

ya prob have to make a bracket to hold the housing

http://teaguecustommarine.com//store...ord=thermostat

I had them make mine with the male #12 hose fitting to run the braid to the exhaust like yours.
your smaller hose make restrick it enough? On my Scarab blower motor like yours had a little condesation under the vavle cover all the time, not enough to hurt anything.
Where would I plum that t stat housing in at?

Thank u for all your help.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skydog
Where would I plum that t stat housing in at?

Thank u for all your help.
Out of the front of the intake then to the housing ,out of the housing to the headers.I would recomend going to # 12.

what temp oil therm is it? What the oil temp getting to?

Are you getting your water from a transom pick up or the drive ?

whats your water pressure?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Out of the front of the intake then to the housing ,out of the housing to the headers.I would recomend going to # 12.

what temp oil therm is it? What the oil temp getting to?

Are you getting your water from a transom pick up or the drive ?

whats your water pressure?
So on the T-stat housing there is two in fittings and two outs that would go to the headers then? If i do it i will for sure go with #12 fittings. I see looks like the pics you put up there is a top and a bottom to the housing. The top would be the in from the intake left and right and then the bottom would be out to left and right headers. When the t-stat is closed i bet my water psi will be way to high?? And is there enuff water to cool the headers when closed?

The oil t-stat is 212 and i have never seen it there! Most of the time the gauge just comes off the stop and that is about 120-140deg thats all!!

Water is coming from a transom pick up tube. Now water psi, i just bought boat last year and they had pick up way way to deep psi was way to high. But now it should be about 15 or so WOT and arounf 5-6 when just running.

Thank you Skydog

Last edited by skydog; 05-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil thermostat restricts the oil flow until you can build the oil temp to the 212 range and then the thermostat opens and holds the oil temp. Our experience is you have to run for 2-5 min at a steady 4500+ RPM to get to the oil to 212-218 degrees.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
The oil thermostat restricts the oil flow until you can build the oil temp to the 212 range and then the thermostat opens and holds the oil temp. Our experience is you have to run for 2-5 min at a steady 4500+ RPM to get to the oil to 212-218 degrees.
Maine takes a few miles "same as your"to get any temp.3-3200rpm,I usually wait till i see the water temp gage move,around 100,then bump it up.cruzing 3200rpm the oil temp wil climb to 200-220 on the gage,if i bump up the rpm 3600 and up the oil temp goes down to 185 and stays, even up to 5000plus,im thinking the water flow picks up keeping it cool.I know they have 2 diff oil thermostats temp's

When ya say restricts is that the same as recirculate or bypass????

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strip,
I don't really know exactly how any thermostat actual works. I am guessing it is closed and then at the target temp it opens just the right amount to hold the oil temp at the target temp. I do know that when our oil gets to 218 the oil temp holds rock steady regardless of the RPM or length of the run. How does it know?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

Yea buddy. The oil is not going threw the oil cooler until the set temp is reached then it opens and the old flows threw the cooler to cool oil. Then when it is cooled the t-stat used has a bypass valve closes and oil does not flow threw cooler over and over.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Strip,
. How does it know?
Wax Seriously, the spring that kees the t stat shut is forced open by an expanding wax like material. It gets bigger with heat and moves a piston/rod against a fixed point and forces open the stat
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Well guys after thinking about this I think it is a must do/try. This way I know the block is getting all full of water and I bet it will even cool better in the hot days to. Being the water will stay in the block longer than right in and out all the time. The one thing that scarys me will the headers see enuff water with t-stat closed to cool?
Thank u Skydog P S what temp t stat to get? And how many holes to drill in it and what size?

Last edited by skydog; 05-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.