Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Full Hydraulic out - Opinions on other options >

Full Hydraulic out - Opinions on other options

Notices

Full Hydraulic out - Opinions on other options

Old 05-29-2002, 08:48 AM
voodoo

Default Full Hydraulic out - Opinions on other options

Due to the increase in the speed of my boat this year with the new engine, I want to increase the safety factor regarding steering. I know the "best" thing to do is add full hydraulic. 2 reasons not to right now - 1. not in the budget, 2. speed is approx. 75, not that much above the so called 70 MPH rule.

This being said I am looking at 2 options, 1. a tie in system, or 2. a dual ram Drew Marine stabilizer kit. The reason I am leaning towards the stabilizer is that that safety factor of this system seems much higher than that of a tie in system. With the tie in, you still have the cable which is a weak link. IF something happens to it you lose all steering, just as if your tiller arm breaks without it. With the Drew stabilizers, if something happens inside, the stabilizers will still be there to do their job. Looking for opinions from people who have used either, or experts who can lend me some sound advice. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Blackhawkdn

I have used the Drew Marine stabilizers. These will lower gimble wear and also help stabilize your steering at the higher speeds. I used them on a twin engine application with wot speed of about 78mph. When you get the funds full hydrulic steering is great ( helm and all)

Old 05-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my dual Lathem tie in for now. Full Hyd is next on list. I can upgrade for only around $1300, less by buying the parts independently. As I see it, the forces are basically moved to the rams. With the force now on the rams, the cable is now more of just a way to operate the control valve. So the cable is not under the high forces of the original setup. My outdrive is as solid as any with full systems. Not knowing the cost of the stabilizers, and the cosideration at one point to have full hyd steering, by buying the add-on now, the additional cost later on will be less to complete, plus you will not have spent money on parts (stabilizers) that will not be used at that point. just something to ponder.

No experience with the Drews
Old 05-30-2002, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think full hydrulics are the only way to go on ANY application where the drive will see air time....the drew marine thing??...save your $$$...way too much $$$ for a wanabe bandaid...trust me,,,this will be your best upgrade you've done thus far. look for used stuff at the very least!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

guys,

It's not really the steering cable that's the weak link in a stock steering system... the tiller arm that the steering valve actuates is the weak point. It is cast aluminum just like the drive and under a shock load or fatigue, can fail. When this happens, your drive IMMEDIATELTY turns full left or right... at full speed, sure wouldn't take much to hook or barrel roll. The hydraulic ram takes this tiller arm out of the equation. As for the full hydraulic helm, it eliminates any play in the steering cable to control wandering, chine walk, etc.

Just some extra input...