Notices

bad performance Wellcraft 233

Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad performance Wellcraft 233

Hi,

I have a Wellcraft 233 Eclipse (yes I know not a typically offshorer :-) ) with Merc 502 Efi engine, modified heads, lightning exhaust manifolds, Wiseco 9.5:1 pistons. Bravo drive and Bravo 24p 4 blade prop. I rebuild everything over winter, and hoped to pass the 63mph border but boat still only runs 58mph, it seems not enough for this engine. What is your thought, where could be the problem or is the hull as bad that more speed is not realistic

Thanks for your replies

Daniel
Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes a lot to get that hull above 60, sold mine and bought a Pantera.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

did you think it is a hull problem? I invest so much money in the boat I cannot sell it :-( any ideas what I could improove?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

One issue that's probably hurting you is a very conservative drive height. I'm willing to bet that your drive is buried and thus causing lots of drag. Generally speaking, that doesn't hurt until you're running above 70 MPH or so, but with your hull, it could be big.

Another thing I'd check is straightness of the bottom. If you've got any hook - common to recreational boats - that will kill you. Even something as simple as how sharp the lifting strakes, chines and transom are will make a difference.

One thing you've got to keep in mind though is that your hull was designed as a recreational hull. It just wasn't designed to go fast. Attempting to make it go faster than it was designed to go can get really ugly - and really expensive.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

just make sure you wear your lanyard and a pair of swimmies.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM
jwp
Registered
Gold Member

How much stuff do you have packed up in the cuddy?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
just make sure you wear your lanyard and a pair of swimmies.
Boy do I hear you there. We had a guy up here take a upper-twenty foot Baja Islander and go hog wild with a pair of big blocks in it. The thing got totally stupid (even stupider than the driver) at speed and hooked on him one day. A passeger ended up with a compound fracture of one leg and a trip in a USGC helicopter.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
One issue that's probably hurting you is a very conservative drive height. I'm willing to bet that your drive is buried and thus causing lots of drag. Generally speaking, that doesn't hurt until you're running above 70 MPH or so, but with your hull, it could be big.

Another thing I'd check is straightness of the bottom. If you've got any hook - common to recreational boats - that will kill you. Even something as simple as how sharp the lifting strakes, chines and transom are will make a difference.

One thing you've got to keep in mind though is that your hull was designed as a recreational hull. It just wasn't designed to go fast. Attempting to make it go faster than it was designed to go can get really ugly - and really expensive.
X2...I'm just wondering what rpm are turning at WOT?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think thats the same boat as my buddys,Around 1989 with a 330hp ran best low 50's He had water in the front v birth,I think its filled with spray foam,and soaked up a bunch of water!!! I think you can not get to the area because its covered by wood/glass.He had to cut it open and dug all the foam and soaked wood out.I also heard they have a pretty good hook in the bottom trying to keep the nose down some because of the seat height having to look over the windsheild.

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/boats/...500/294631.jpg

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

How many rpm's are you running?What camshaft are you running?What heads are you using?Did you run it on a dyno?Lots of variables here,not just the hull itself.

Last edited by BURNSMAZZ; 06-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.