Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil temp, steaming oil...:-( >

oil temp, steaming oil...:-(

Notices

oil temp, steaming oil...:-(

Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could i have had something in the motor that flowed through and plugged the valve? And how would I even find that out! Im going to drain the oil and get back online in like 30 minutes!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
From one Carl to another BTW.
Carl is a pretty good name to have!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I didn't mean that it should have been shimmed. I just believe that the problem lies in that relief valve. I've never heard of a too tight engine creating too much oil pressure. The symptoms would be much worse. It probably would have barely cranked over if at all and would have wiped out the crank by now if it did manage to run. JMO but I worked as a heavy repair auto mechanic for 20 years.

From one Carl to another BTW.
i understand and am not questioning your credentials or judgement. you could easily be correct. but all i am saying that if you are a reputable and knowledgeable engine builder, why are you shimming the relief valve ? it serves no purpose what so ever other than to build outrageous cold oil pressure and unacceptably high hot oil pressure with no upside at all. thats what i mean when i suggest the ' why" here is the more important question.

if he did it because he was dumb then it's an easy fix. if he did it because the clearences are big enough to rent out as apartment space and he had lousey hot pressures then that's a whole different deal. all i'm saying is that the time to get that answer is now while the motor is intact and not later after its all blown up and everybody is arguing about why.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

also..... could the cooler be clogged? could that cause the high pressure
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by morrowcarl72
could i have had something in the motor that flowed through and plugged the valve? And how would I even find that out! Im going to drain the oil and get back online in like 30 minutes!!!!
first of all if you get trash in the relief valve it makes no oil pressure... not too much...

and second if there are things that big floating around in your oil galleries then its time to stop typing and get the chain fall out.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

ok back to the main topic though..... why the oil steaming or coming out of the breather filter and why does it look like it is blowing oil fumes out of the exhaust????

im sure these could be connected to the oil pressure issue but i dont think they are one is the same..... to be honest i have a feel like what really might be happening is i am getting water back up my exhaust while i am sitting still and a pipe goes half under the water or a wave comes in from the back.... i have never seen an oil slick behind my boat so i am not sure if it is even oil!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

just drained the oil....

a bit dark but not very much metal in it at all for the first 4 hours.... it showed a slight amount of metalic in the filter but the oil seems to be clean just dark in color....

im going to get a actual mechanical gauge from napa this after noon

buying a new sending unit for my dash gauge

and order exhaust flappers for the transom that will be here tomorrow!

also im taking the oil cooler off this afternoon and going to attempt to blow it out and or clean the inside of it somehow!