Notices

Stumped????

Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped????

I took my baja boss 302 out this weekend and had a problem. This boat has twin 7.4 mpi's in it with bravo 1 drives. When I went to take off from idle the starboard side drive seemed like it was cavating alot. When I got on plane it wanted to make a hard left if I let go of the wheel. Also the engine's rmp's where alot higher .
I had a problem with a hose on the trim pump at the begining of the year. I fixed that and have been out around 8 times since then. It seems like the same problem i had before, with the drive moving up as I took off, and the boat going left.
I checked today, the drive oil is a little milky in that pump assembly, but i checked and there is no play in the drive . If the drive is all the way down, it has no play trying to come up.Just thinking maybe I didnt get all the water out from last time, and it just mixed in???
Any help would be great????
Thanks

Last edited by drunkstang; 07-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

pull the prop and check the hub
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
pull the prop and check the hub
What should I be looking for???? What do you think the prop is slipping?????
Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drunkstang
I took my baja boss 302 out this weekend and had a problem. This boat has twin 7.4 mpi's in it with bravo 1 drives. When I went to take off from idle the starboard side drive seemed like it was cavating alot. When I got on plane it wanted to make a hard left if I let go of the wheel. Also the engine's rmp's where alot higher .
I had a problem with a hose on the trim pump at the begining of the year. I fixed that and have been out around 8 times since then. It seems like the same problem i had before, with the drive moving up as I took off, and the boat going left.
I checked today, the drive oil is a little milky in that pump assembly, but i checked and there is no play in the drive . If the drive is all the way down, it has no play trying to come up.Just thinking maybe I didnt get all the water out from last time, and it just mixed in???
Any help would be great????
Thanks
sounds like one of the rams has given up but i suppose changing out the fluid is a quick and easy test
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

fixed the problem. Thanks guys!!!

looked like the hub was on its way out. Looks like it spun a few times, and I cleaned the contacts on the pump. Took it for a ride today and all is good.
Now I have to clean out the oil in the lines and holding tank to get all the milky oil out from the line breaking eailer in the year... ( any easy way of doing this???)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunkstang
fixed the problem. Thanks guys!!!

looked like the hub was on its way out. Looks like it spun a few times, and I cleaned the contacts on the pump. Took it for a ride today and all is good.
Now I have to clean out the oil in the lines and holding tank to get all the milky oil out from the line breaking eailer in the year... ( any easy way of doing this???)

Diesel fuel is a great solvent, and since it's petroleum, it won't harm the seals. Drain the reservoir, fill with diesel, run the rams up and down a number of times. Then drain and refill. You may want to re drain the oil one more time to get all the diesel out.

Darrell.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Don't put diesel in a hydraulic system. Use the same fluid as is suposed to be in there.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

While I don't think the diesel will hurt anything, I would just empty out whats in there and refill a couple times with 30wt oil.