Timing Chain vs Timing Gears >

Timing Chain vs Timing Gears

Notices

Timing Chain vs Timing Gears

Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Timing Chain vs Timing Gears

Is there any advantage using timing gears over a timing chain??
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When I was a teenager I thought gear drives were the coolest thing, could never afford one then though. As I have gotten older I have read and been told that they have a higher parasitic hp loss than a quality chain. Personally, I would buy a quality/premium timing chain set, make sure when you look at it the chain rollers are "seamless", do not have a "seam" across the roller, they can split at the seam or start disintegrating under hard use, Smitty
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well on Harleys the gears will be alot smoother/more reliable and free up some HP. No chain to stretch or wear out either. Not sure about other motors though.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered

The chains dont "stretch" like in the old days....unless you got 200K miles on a motor...lol. A quality chain is the way to go. The problem with gear drives..is that they send any and all vibrations thru your whole cam/valvetrain system. Basically, there is alot more wear and tear on a motor with a gear drive setup in it. It's a direct drive system, as opposed to a chain which acts sorta like a buffer in the system.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tinman565
The chains dont "stretch" like in the old days....unless you got 200K miles on a motor...lol. A quality chain is the way to go. The problem with gear drives..is that they send any and all vibrations thru your whole cam/valvetrain system. Basically, there is alot more wear and tear on a motor with a gear drive setup in it. It's a direct drive system, as opposed to a chain which acts sorta like a buffer in the system.
your right,gear drives are harder on the valve train because of the harmonics tranmitted.the chain acts as a shock arrester.they sound pretty cool though.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cost you h/p...chains/belts much better
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then suckers are loud too! They don't call'm a "poor man's blower" for nothin.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Too much harmonics and not good for sustained higher rpms. No marine engine builders use them and that should tell you something.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Just curious, have any of you actually run a gear drive in a marine application to know this, what brand ? what motor ?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

I personally have not. What we are saying is...most people who have built motors (street cars, drag, circle track, boats, etc.), and have done the research...dont use gear drive set-ups. It's a known and proven fact about the vibrations/harmonics transfered throughout your entire cam/valvetrain with a gear drive. Look at it this way...with a gear drive...the crank is actually DIRECTLY driving the cam...which is driving the rest of the valvetrain. Any vibrations...harmonics...tremors...or bumps and thumps, are being sent to the top end of your motor. The roller chain acts like a buffer...or absorber in the system. It's basically healthier for the rest of the system. Especially in a boat motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.