Varnish And S##t In Fuel Tank Cleaning >

Varnish And S##t In Fuel Tank Cleaning

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have this problem yet. But is there an industry standard way to flush out a built in tank with out taking out a sawz all and cutting out your flooring when there full of varnish and gunk? I have always pondered this problem and want to see if sombody out there has a system that works.
Thanks Roger
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One way is to rig an electric fuel pump into the fuel line from the fuel tank prior to the fuel water separator. You should be able to get most of the water and any suspended particles out. What is laying on the bottom should not be an issue. Use a 10 micron or less fuel/water separator filter to catch any additional water and anything that is suspended in the fuel.

Link to value priced fuel water separator:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...15177/10002/-1

Last edited by BenPerfected; 08-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

Sounds good kinda what I was thinking also. But what happens if you got an old boat and its been sitting for about 20 plus years and all that old 95 cent a gallon fuel is now solid as arock? Can you fill it with gas liet it soak then pump it? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandfather had massive amounts of varnish in his 40-50 gallon tank from the boat sitting for years. What he did was take a sh!t load of bb's or something of the sort . dumped then into the tank and kept the tank half full as he drove the boat around. After about 10 filters is was good to go. Once the bb's did their job he took a magnet and got the bb's out.

Just took 80 gallons of gas from 2001 out of the boat I'm restoring and have been running it straight in the suburban (98 454) and has been running great. only have about 30 gallons left.

Last edited by prostock85; 08-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.