Port side motor wont run >

Port side motor wont run

Notices

Port side motor wont run

Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port side motor wont run

Looking for some ideas. Just purchased an 85 Formula 272 with twin 5.7's. I put it in the water and made the run from the ramp to my house (5 miles) without issue ( aprox 50 mph). I idled thru the no wake to my dock (1/4 mi), then tried to turn the boat with the throttles (one motor forward, one reverse). The motors died and had a problem starting. After aprox 3 mins they fired up and I made it to the dock. I idled at the dock for a couple minutes and left. After passing thru the no wake, I started to power up. At aprox 2700 rpm the port motor shut down. I restarted and it shut down at tthe same rpm.
Now its on the trailer. drives up. Starbord starts just fine but the port wont. Turns over, wont fire.. HELP.....
The boat sat for about 1 year or so with aprox 1/2 tank of fuel. I topped it of with 92 octane before hitting the water.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Start with your fuel filters... If the boat sat that long your could have some water in the system.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

That was my thought, but wouldn't that effect both engines equally?

Tony
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Did you check to see if the port motor has spark ? I would check the fuel/water seperator..the carb filter (if there's one in it)...and the distributor cap and rotor sir.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. All things on the Saturday list.
Thanks again guys

Tony
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered

Definatley fuel related and could be clogged carbs from the chit ethanol seperating.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blwngsket
That was my thought, but wouldn't that effect both engines equally?

Tony
It really depends on where your pickups are. One may be higher than the other, allowing that engine to pull good fuel, while the port motor is sucking in all the crap from the bottom.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Another note.. dont run them with the drives all the way up.. you will kill your u-joints...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Alright guys. I don't know much, but this is what I do know. Plenty of fuel getting to the port side carb. Turn the key to power, but not start the starbord motor and the gauges jump to life. Not so port side. Power at both solenoids (sp?). Power to starbord coil. No power to port coil. Going to replace the fuel/water seperators tomorrow.
Could this be an ignition switch issue even though the switch turns the motor? The cap and rotor wasn't bad. Cleaned up with a wire brush.
Hope to figure this out tomorrow. It's fleet week in the SF Bay. Sunday the Blue Angles are to perform over the bay. Be nice to see it from the boat.

Tony
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have lanyards?can you probe the purple wire on the back of the ign switch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.