Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any danger in shutting engine off at WOT? >

Any danger in shutting engine off at WOT?

Notices

Any danger in shutting engine off at WOT?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I believe only what I see, and you can count on the A game next go around Phil. If you really saw that much of an increase you need to take some jet out in season, you are way rich. Put a bung in the exhaust and you can use my a/f meter if you like.
I agree that I am a bit rich during the on season, but I am also always running around with a full boat, which scrubs a ton of speed in this boat, as opposed to running with 2 people and half a tank or less.

We made three runs on Wednesday, the first at 94mph, pulled out early because of some cross wakes, the second at 97.3 and the third at 96.8. The third run definitely had more in it, at least 1-2mph because i wasnt WOT for very long, but it was into the wind and chop, which tends to get a bit hairy. These were all GPS speeds on a handheld.

I saw low 90's during the season with 4 people on board, just with this 32p, it takes alot longer to get there than it does with the broken 30p.

Your boat is bad news for me because of how hard it accellerates. Even if I get 3-4mph on you, you are already 2 boat lengths ahead, which takes A LONG time to pick back up, much longer than most boat races between friends.

I am probably going to get bungs welded on this winter, as well as get the water injection cracks in my headers welded up
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
A better way to prevent water from coming up the tailpipes is to make a turn right before you completely come off plane, basically slow down in a circle. Most of the wake will hit you from the side instead of straight up the back.

But a few seconds of idle time wont kill a plug reading either.
did Rudy tell you that ???? LMFAO
Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me once. I shut down an overheating engine before coming completely off plane. I'm sure that the excess heat being suddenly cooled caused water to be pulled into the cylinders. All of the cylinders with open exhaust valves had water in them. If I had flappers, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened.