Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal? >

Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?

Notices

Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the next question:

Where should I mount the horizontal tabs? How far out and how far above the bottom?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mocked mine up today.
Notice where the old K-planes were, that part of the hull is completely out of the water when boat is at speed so the K-planes were pretty much useless except at low speeds.

Also, notice the extra wide horizionatal area on my strake, I think will work well prepping the water with the angle I am using.

I have been researching this subject for a couple years preparing for the holes I made today.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-214.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-217.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-218.jpg  

Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Your tabs are to close to the drive, tab water wash will be hitting the prop. move them back out & mount horizonal.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by racinfever
Your tabs are to close to the drive, tab water wash will be hitting the prop. move them back out & mount horizonal.
Never heard of this being an issue. Why does that have a negative effect?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 Spyder
I mocked mine up today.
Notice where the old K-planes were, that part of the hull is completely out of the water when boat is at speed so the K-planes were pretty much useless except at low speeds.

Also, notice the extra wide horizionatal area on my strake, I think will work well prepping the water with the angle I am using.

I have been researching this subject for a couple years preparing for the holes I made today.
Just out of curiosity, did you check to see if you can turn your drive all the way left and right?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

My 1968 raceboat is set up like this. May not apply to I/O's
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Just out of curiosity, did you check to see if you can turn your drive all the way left and right?
Yes I did, With the extension box they aren't even close at full lock.. At all trim angles...
Look at the side image.

Originally Posted by racinfever
Most twin engine boats have the tabs closer to the drive.. Enough to have to notch the tab to clear..
How does that effect them??
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

The tabs on my boat (30 Superboat) are somehwere in between parallel and horizontal. They are notched to clear the drive. The tabs on my last boat (24 Superboat) where mouted parallel and seemed to make the boat react much sooner.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-2010_1113_164435aa.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
The tabs on my boat (30 Superboat) are somehwere in between parallel and horizontal. They are notched to clear the drive. The tabs on my last boat (24 Superboat) where mouted parallel and seemed to make the boat react much sooner.
I'm afraid if you put them inbetween maybe you will loose the advantages of both the parallel and horizontal, the middle road might not be the best...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
I'm afraid if you put them inbetween maybe you will loose the advantages of both the parallel and horizontal, the middle road might not be the best...
That was my thought as well.

In my opinion, looking at the superboat pic from Dave M the tabs are way high above the bottom of the hull and would have to be at a steep down angle to even touch the water.
They may have worked good that way on his boat but on mine I dont think it would have been as effective.

Also, if mine did not have the extra wide horizontal surface area on my strakes I may have opted for parallel to the hull..
Attached Thumbnails Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-219.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-220.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-squadron-27-221.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.