Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal? >

Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?

Notices

Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 Spyder
That was my thought as well.

In my opinion, looking at the superboat pic from Dave M the tabs are way high above the bottom of the hull and would have to be at a steep down angle to even touch the water.
They may have worked good that way on his boat but on mine I dont think it would have been as effective.

Also, if mine did not have the extra wide horizontal surface area on my strakes I may have opted for parallel to the hull..
Ya, I don't know. It came that way from the factory, I assume they know what they are doing. All I can say is that the boat runs great in rough or flat water.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I took Tres's class and there I found out why they should always be mounted along the bottom.
I would like to hear his theory/opinion as well.

I have heard there were some safety issues with a step bottom hull sliding/spinning out in a turn and catching a horizontal tab, making the situation worse.

My straight bottom hull shouldn't have that problem..

Last edited by 26 Spyder; 11-04-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 24 outlaw, I have the biggest eddie marine kplanes you can buy, (equal to the 380s) I have them mounted vertical along the bottom of the boat, and its B.S. if you dont think those tabs wont contact the water at wide open. I can tab them all the way up and run my boat wide open, and trim it to the moon and they wont hit the water, and my boat rides really high in the water, but I have enough throw on the rams that I could stuff the nose in the water at wide open if I wanted too..I am scared to even hit those kplane switches at a good amount of speed cause they would grab so much water that I think I would spin the boat..
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stlliberator
on my 24 outlaw, I have the biggest eddie marine kplanes you can buy, (equal to the 380s) I have them mounted vertical along the bottom of the boat, and its B.S. if you dont think those tabs wont contact the water at wide open. I can tab them all the way up and run my boat wide open, and trim it to the moon and they wont hit the water, and my boat rides really high in the water, but I have enough throw on the rams that I could stuff the nose in the water at wide open if I wanted too..I am scared to even hit those kplane switches at a good amount of speed cause they would grab so much water that I think I would spin the boat..
I don't believe anyone has claimed that parallel mounted tabs won't work (if that's what you mean by vertical?) since that's the standard way of mounting them.

Any fast boat with parallel tabs will get very dangerous if you don't be careful with how you handle the tabs at speed.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
Here's the next question:

Where should I mount the horizontal tabs? How far out and how far above the bottom?
The height what I am wondering as well. I've seen a few pics and the variances are huge. 26 Spyder's look low compared to many of the pics I have seen. And others look really high.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine (Danas on the Squadron) are 5/8" above the bottom. The pic looks lower because the mount is lower than the tab.
When mine are up they will be completely out of the water and when they are lowered it won't take much negative to come in contact with the water.

Dana Recommends 1/4" above the bottom...

Notice these pics of my other boat how high it rides.
This boat had the 280s in the 'stock' parallel location.
I used the port tab to level me out from prop torque, I had to plant it quite a bit at high speeds to get it to even touch the water. (Pictured)
When I hit a wave the tab would be down too far and throw the boat to the stb side.
Also if it started chine walking, the tabs would rock from one side to the other, making the problem worse.
That is why I did what I did on the Squadron...
Attached Thumbnails Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-shootout-2011-624.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-shootout-2011-619-2.jpg   Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-python-074.jpg  

Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered

I have to run with the port side down some too..and it doesn't fly right off a wave...but I think the bravo 1 I'm running might have alot to do with it...I need to try a prop besides a bravo 1
Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

I'm now getting ready for some drilling
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
The height what I am wondering as well. I've seen a few pics and the variances are huge. 26 Spyder's look low compared to many of the pics I have seen. And others look really high.
Mercury recommends 3/4" above the bottom.
Eddie
Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

I made some wood templates to do the drilling and get it at the 3/4" above the bottom of the hull. Used the k-plane back plate and a router table with a trim bit. Worked out good, the wood is a lot lighter and easier to tape onto the hull. Two layers of 3/4" plywood helps to keep the drill bit straight too. Kept the pilot holes at 1/4".

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Mercury recommends 3/4" above the bottom.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Mounting trim tabs - along bottom or horizontal?-img00100-20110625-0143.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.