Rebuilding Merc MX 6,2MPI's >

Rebuilding Merc MX 6,2MPI's

Notices

Rebuilding Merc MX 6,2MPI's

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding Merc MX 6,2MPI's

Friend of mine with a 292Fastech gave me a call today, and asked about a helping hand for some ideas to get a pair of tired MX 6,2MPI's rebuild. He's looking to gain a little power from the stock 320 hp to 375-400 hp, just to wake it up a little.

This is what was talked about:

Imco powerflow or EMI Thunder exhaust. (Which one would you pick, and why?)
More cam. This needs to be an off the shelf if possible, since we live here in Denmark, and have no shops that can grind a good hyd. roller cam. (Thinking about a 377 scorpion spec cam?)
Raise compression to about 9,6-9.8 from the original 9,0. (Good fuel is not an issue here. We have 95, 97, 98 and 99 RON ie. 91, 93, 94 and 95 R+M oct. 95, 97 and98 in just about all marinas and some also has the 99)
ECU tuning (of course).
Maybe bore it .030 over to 383 cid.

He does not want superchargers or BBC's, so that is not an option.

Does this seem like a good way to go for a little added power, when rebuilding? Don't know much about tuning marine small blocks.

Thanks

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 10-27-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think your limiting factor will be the induction system. I had Bob Llyod @ Full Throttle Marine work my 6.2 over last winter and we changed to alum bigger valve heads, lowered compression with forged pistions, a slightly larger cam and added a Whipple SC and the motor made 595 hp and 578 ft. lbs of tq. night and day different than stock

Steve
Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Steve mentioned the intake is the limiting factor. Years ago I did a build like you are looking for. But, I replaced the factory intake with an aftermarket efi intake and 4bbl style throttle body, larger cam, ported heads and stainless marine exhaust. I didn't have a dyno at the time but the boat picked up about 6 mph so that would mathematically equate to well over 400 hp. If you don't replace the intake you won't gain much power no matter what you do.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine