Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need an oil cooler??? >

need an oil cooler???

Notices

need an oil cooler???

Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

pull the valve covers and see what you got ....you need to run over 212* to remove moisture .... if your running no cooler and after hard runs see no more than 200* I would question the indication ....m
Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
you probly want to keep the oil temp around 220-245.this will insure any water from condensation will boil-off and not contamanate the oil.whats the oil look like?milky?if it looks good ,you are probley ok.
245* seems a little high for my liking.

The best scenerio is run a big cooler, with a oil thermostat. The big cooler is there when the demand for cooling exists. If the demand isn't there, the cooler isnt there. (With a oil stat).
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
245* seems a little high for my liking.

The best scenerio is run a big cooler, with a oil thermostat. The big cooler is there when the demand for cooling exists. If the demand isn't there, the cooler isnt there. (With a oil stat).
I wish it worked like that ..but I'm afraid it doesn't ....the thermostat slows down oil to the cooler and directs some of the oil back to the motor ....there is always oil going thru the cooler....if the cooler is too large you cant cant high enough temps to remove moisture ... I had 3x18 merc 500hp coolers with KE thermostats...if I ran 4000+ it would work fine ....but below 4K it could run for ever and never get over 190* ..... we live on the water and use the boat year round at least once a week. Sometimes just a 30 min ride .....unless I ran real hard I could not get enough temps.... I ended putting a Bypass around the oil cooler so I could throttle water flow thru the cooler and that worked pretty good .....

another issue are the automotive oil thermostats ...most of those have 180-190* stats in them ....and alot have just 3/8 fittings ....be careful .... IMOP you dont need the 5" cooler .....m
Attached Thumbnails need an oil cooler???-oil-cooler-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 11-13-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for all the discussion guys!

i will be using my Hayden sandwich style filter base/oilcooler adapter with the built in thermostat.......should i use the larger 5x24 cooler or the 2x14?

my engine is 500hp and its in my 25 warlock cat. i am running a water crossover (no circulating pump) with no thermostat. if the oil and water temps start to be a problem i will install a thermostat and a water bypass going from the auxillary fitting on my crossover to the exit hose that leads to the overboard fitting for my engine water discharge.

the hayden oil cooler adapter unit says it "begins to flow oil to the cooler at 160 deg and is fully open at 180 deg."

i suppose i could run the 5x24 cooler use a gate valve on the outlet side (as depicted in the drawing) to slow down water flow to the cooler.....or i could run a smaller cooler..................... if the oil temps in the engine become a problem.

again, i havnt had any problems with either as of yet (runing no cooler) but i have only run the boat for maybe 30 min at a time during shake down and prop testing.

Last edited by 2tonchevy; 11-13-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
I wish it worked like that ..but I'm afraid it doesn't ....the thermostat slows down oil to the cooler and directs some of the oil back to the motor ....there is always oil going thru the cooler....if the cooler is too large you cant cant high enough temps to remove moisture ... I had 3x18 merc 500hp coolers with KE thermostats...if I ran 4000+ it would work fine ....but below 4K it could run for ever and never get over 190* ..... we live on the water and use the boat year round at least once a week. Sometimes just a 30 min ride .....unless I ran real hard I could not get enough temps.... I ended putting a Bypass around the oil cooler so I could throttle water flow thru the cooler and that worked pretty good .....

another issue are the automotive oil thermostats ...most of those have 180-190* stats in them ....and alot have just 3/8 fittings ....be careful .... IMOP you dont need the 5" cooler .....m
I agree, a 5" cooler would be overkill. I know a few guys running the canton oil thermostats and the merc hp500 factory oil thermostats and they work just like I stated.

I suppose where you take your oil temp reading can be decieving also. If the temp probe is measuring temp after it comes out of the block, I can see higher readings, and measuring it after the cooler can be lower readings.

I boat up north here where we have really cold lake michigan water, and hot humid air temps. Several buddies and I have ran blower engines with no water t-stats. Its not uncommon for us to never see any water temp on the gauge, and also real low oil temps. I measure mine after the cooler, and barely see 130* on a hard run on the gauge. If I immediatly shoot the oil filter with a temp gun, after a hard run, the oil filter comes in at 170* or so. I get a very small amount of condensation in the breathers, if I idle around alot. But if I run on plane at 3500 or better its fine. Running vent hoses from the valve covers to the flame arrestor also helps to pull the moisture out of the crankcase. While I don't like seeing low oil temps, after 6 seasons on my blower motors, the bearings looked like they could be put back in and reused.

Check out this trick piece for bypassing oil around the cooler.
http://www.crracing.com/custom-built...r-bypass-valve
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

great info fellas!

thanks alot!

i think i will try the 2x14 and see hpw it works.

My Hayden oil cooler stat/filter mount opens fully at 180 deg and has 1/2 npt outlets.

QUESTION: where is the BEST place to mount my oil temp sending unit?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

QUESTION: where is the BEST place to mount my oil temp sending unit?[/QUOTE]

oil pan
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SFOcean
QUESTION: where is the BEST place to mount my oil temp sending unit?
oil pan[/QUOTE]

ok cool! i have been reading it from the plug above the oil filter mount on the engine block. is that no good?

my oil pan has a bung/drain plug in the side about half hay down already....that sound good?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
oil pan
ok cool! i have been reading it from the plug above the oil filter mount on the engine block. is that no good?

my oil pan has a bung/drain plug in the side about half hay down already....that sound good?[/QUOTE]

The plug above the oil filter mount goes into the main oil gallery; you will be reading temp of the oil after it has returned from the filter and coolers. You need to see about 180 in this location.

Your plug in the pan would work if it is low enough to be immersed in oil all of the time; it may be a bit high?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

ok great!

i will try to see if the plug in the side is low enough.....if it is not...can i just leave the sending unit where it is? in the main galley above the filter boss? or will this location not give good indication to whats really going on in the engine?

i realld dont wanna have to drill a hole in my pan if i dont have to......you got any other suggestions? like a next best place other than the pan?

thanks your and everybody elses help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.