Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie, just got a question asked tonight about ignition. Would you think the Electromotive Tec3 with a 60-2 crank trigger igniton could be good in a marine application? Just a discussion in the boat club tonight since a few guys are considering upgrades and are fed up with the MSD. Sorry about the hijack.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Eddie, just got a question asked tonight about ignition. Would you think the Electromotive Tec3 with a 60-2 crank trigger igniton could be good in a marine application? Just a discussion in the boat club tonight since a few guys are considering upgrades and are fed up with the MSD. Sorry about the hijack.
If you're just looking for an ignition upgrade you wouldn't need the Tec box just the XDI, or if you wanted laptop programmable curves then the XDI2. It is an excellent ignition system and a huge upgrade from the MSD. Contact them directly and ask for Uwe Schuettler. He is the head of sales and is very helpful and also a fellow boater.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
That makes sense why the fuel distribution would be out when not in boost. It sounds like you'll be good to go with the injectors in the ports to trim the fuel down low though. I didn't know the 555 could do individual cylinder maps, that's really cool. The newer MEFI 5 and 6 are very capable boxes too but it's the same deal with lack of tuning software unfortunately. Another thing that you're probably aware of is that header design can have an effect on cylinder to cylinder distribution. Large dyno headers with a merge collector can have a tendency to overscavenge at certain rpms and conversely the headers in the boat can have a restriction in some tubes giving different results. It would be great if whoever's dyno you're using would let you set it up to run the headers from the boat to better dial it in. If not, are you going to use spacers to run the eight or ten O2's in the boat? Sounds like a cool project! -Haxor

555 has nearly everything one could ever use in an aftermarket engine. Far more than any aftermarket PCM. From what I've used, most of the these systems do not have the proper resolution for tuning cylinder to cylinder. Some have just a global adder/subtracter, some have 7x7 cells but in reality, you need far more resolution which the 555 and 565 have.

Systems like Motec, Pectel, Vipec have far more resolution than Big Stuff, Holley, FAST..... but Pectel and Motec are very expensive and have a huge learning curve. Vipec is a great PCM for the money, it has almost all the features of the Motec, at 1/4 of the price.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
555 has nearly everything one could ever use in an aftermarket engine. Far more than any aftermarket PCM. From what I've used, most of the these systems do not have the proper resolution for tuning cylinder to cylinder. Some have just a global adder/subtracter, some have 7x7 cells but in reality, you need far more resolution which the 555 and 565 have.

Systems like Motec, Pectel, Vipec have far more resolution than Big Stuff, Holley, FAST..... but Pectel and Motec are very expensive and have a huge learning curve. Vipec is a great PCM for the money, it has almost all the features of the Motec, at 1/4 of the price.
Very true 555 better than most everything.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
555 has nearly everything one could ever use in an aftermarket engine.
Except tuning software available to the public..

I've heard good things about the Vipec and have seen their boxes on some bigger power marine engines too. Thanks for the additional info on the 555's. Do you and Mark have OEM software for tuning the 555's or did you get someone to write it? I understand if that's not info you want to give out, was just curious though. Thanks, Alex.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Great thread ! 3 Thumbs Up !
Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CAL MAN
Very true 555 better than most everything.
That may be a true statement but just to bring this thread back on track.. It's titled "EFI For Everyone" not "the best ecm ever".

There are lots of excellent controllers out there but that doesn't make them easy to aquire, or user friendly. The 555 is great and I don't think I compared the Holley to it anywhere. However, the average Joe might not like paying up to $1000 for a reflash, or sending a box out and waiting 4 months to get it back.
MoTeC, ViPec, Megasquirt, etc. They're all great but they don't come in a kit you can order from Summitt or Jegs, they don't come packaged with every sensor and harness you need, they're not all waterproof and or USCG approved.
When you're talking about resolution, or sophistication, this kit is basically an excellent replacement for the MEFI 3's and 4's or for a guy wanting to get rid of his carb(s) with a ton of extra features to boot. MEFI can't even begin to compete with the Holley yet the MEFI is still good enough for Teagues 1300+hp engines and Eddie's, and other's too. So how good does it really need to be? I think when you get into individual cylinder mapping and the amount of testing and data acquisition that goes with it you're well past the "EFI for everyone" portion of the group. I'm excited about how available EFI is becoming for the marine market and I know lots of others are as well. I think the new marine XFI from FAST is gonna be great too because like Holley they package easy to use kits for enthusiasts. Happy St. Pats' everyone
Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Sorry Haxor did not want to be a hijack, very good info on your thread, I have looked at the new Holly stuff and it looks real good. Keep us informed on your projects with it.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

I kinda like the idea of the Holley set-up because it is pointing towards taking the "voodoo" and "smoke and mirrors" out of ECMs and ECM "mods" like reflashing etc.....

By no means is it replacing anything, just giving the average boater another choice and oppertunity to set up their own system if they wish.

The 555 seems very secretive and proprietary.....
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
I kinda like the idea of the Holley set-up because it is pointing towards taking the "voodoo" and "smoke and mirrors" out of ECMs and ECM "mods" like reflashing etc.....

By no means is it replacing anything, just giving the average boater another choice and oppertunity to set up their own system if they wish.

The 555 seems very secretive and proprietary.....
same as in my field....harley has the best hi-perf injection program...but its not easily accessible and complicated.they only want their dealers to be able to have access to it.....shame on 'em
now back to our regular program....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.