Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Any torque losses on mild engines? I caught something on tv the other day I found interesting. One of the hot rod shows built a 4.8l ls and dyno'd it with a low buck holley carb, and then again with the atomic efi. While it picked up 10 to 15 hp, if you looked close it lost over 40 ft lbs of torque. The carb was rated at 600 cfm, the throttle body was rated at 1000cfm.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Alex,

How extensive are the Guardian/Engine Protection features ?

Bob
It's completely programmable, so it's up to the end user how much, or how little you want it to monitor, and what you want it to do when something gets out of line. The set up is very simple, and for a basic system I like to program it like this:

All values are programmable for your application
Oil temp- warning light and alarm at xxpsi, if pressure continues to drop to xxpsi, rpm will be reduced to1200max.
Coolant temp- warning at xxxdegress, if temp continues to climb past xxxdegrees, rpm wil be reduced to 1200max
Fuel pressure - same deal
Manifold air temp- start pulling timing based on temp, then warning light and alarm, then reduced rpm if it keeps climbing
Knock sensors - both the sensitivity and how much timing you want to pull, based on rpm and load, are programmable.
Optional are: oil temp, trans temp, water pressure, Valet mode - You can hide a switch and program it to limit the engine rpm to anything you like.
There are a lot more options and possibilities too depending on the application.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lil red
Any torque losses on mild engines? I caught something on tv the other day I found interesting. One of the hot rod shows built a 4.8l ls and dyno'd it with a low buck holley carb, and then again with the atomic efi. While it picked up 10 to 15 hp, if you looked close it lost over 40 ft lbs of torque. The carb was rated at 600 cfm, the throttle body was rated at 1000cfm.
I think that may be something to do with the Atomic unit, or the programming.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

=CONFIG]522547[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522548[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522549[/ATTACH]

This was the first of 3 Holley EFI Systems, I have done so far. This system has made a believer out of me of it's simplicity of use, navigation of program and the operating speed of the ecu. The closed-loop learning is instantaneous, during the test pulls. Comparing the learn A/F with the A/F of my dyno acquisition data, is so close. Synchronizing the spark/ fuel tables with the ecu and from the ecu back to program is made simple. All spark/fuel changes made while online, with no shutdown or delays, makes back to back test a simple task. Once you have the final test; the file is saved and then transferred to the matched engine. This system has a dashboard which you can change the gauges and values to what you need to observe. It has data logging, with a overlay for transfer to your spark/fuel tables. I am a strong believer in this Holley EFI. I have stayed away from EFI tuning for the fear of lack of tuning knowledge for EFI systems and have had to rely on someone else calibrating the ecu in the past. Always having to wait for someone else, time involved, travel and being locked out of the ecu just wasn't my idea of building power and tuning my package.
I have to thank Alex Haxby, for his start-up program and help through out. Once I was ready; Alex, took over my laptop from Vancouver BC here @ my business in SC while he demonstrated and explained the process and navigation. I really thought; it was going to be some big complicated task, it turned out to be pretty simple. I just finished up a 383 using the Stealth Tunnel Ram EFI, which I was able to pick a base calibration from the Global Folder then make some minor changes. Start-up was fast and smooth from the firing of the engine, I will post it up once we get the video finished.
I don't want to highjack this thread with the 572 build, so I will start a seperate thread on it with pictures and details of the project.
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-scan0009.jpg   EFI for everyone-scan0010.jpg   EFI for everyone-scan0011.jpg  

Last edited by MER Performance; 04-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Great stuff. Love seeing you pro's working together on these things. Kudos to you guys.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://youtu.be/THTwkuWLpCE

Last edited by MER Performance; 04-24-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey MerP. Was the EFI unit adjusting the AF ratio in that video via o2 sensor or was it a pre programed map?

Alex I was thinking about trying out one of these systems on a 350 or 383 motor. Are you guys using a fuel cooler like merc or is it not need or what?

Chris
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Hey MerP. Was the EFI unit adjusting the AF ratio in that video via o2 sensor or was it a pre programed map?

Alex I was thinking about trying out one of these systems on a 350 or 383 motor. Are you guys using a fuel cooler like merc or is it not need or what?

Chris
It was adjusting. It still uses a base map, but was adjusting as necessary. It will then show you how much and where it was correcting on a separate map. On the next pull it will automatically read off the base map with the correction applied.

A return system is preferred but, a returnless system with a cooler will work fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is our first Carb to EFI conversion ever and I am glad that I have had Alex to lean on during the process so I did not have to read the instructions (huge manual in the help section). Like Mark I have been a devoted carb guy since birth that was never going to make the switch. I have done Merc EFI having to rely on others for the computer work and felt useless other than a provider of info. After about and hour with Alex we were up and running doing our first dyno pull without fear. Today was my second day of tuning and sorry to say no added results as we seam to have hit it on the head with the second pull on the first day. The engine is a 572 that we built in 2010 that made 745 HP back then. In 2012 we sent the heads to Tony Mamo and brought them up to 785 HP and now we are at 797 HP but a very nice increase in TQ with the EFI. First pic is carbed in 2012 second pic is with the EFI.
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-img_0319.jpg   EFI for everyone-dsc02170.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Any examples of a blow through system using a centrifugal supercharger. Im doing my home work on a 540 vortech supercharger project im going to build this year. My current 502 mag its starting as doesn't appear to support the air or fuel delivery needed, so I was leaning towards a blow through carb in a box for induction until I stumbled on this post.

Last edited by tbanzer; 04-26-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.