EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few key points for the guys that are too lazy to read all the posts..

The Holley system will control your ignition timing, and will run single, or dual knock sensors that are tuneable to your particular engine. You can run a distributor, or coil on plug. They make a complete coil on plug kit with crank trigger that bolts on to SBC and BBC's. The coil packs produce waaay more jam then a conventional high performance coil, so far they've kept up to 34lbs boost on E85.. If you want to run your own standalone ignition like Crane or MSD, you can leave it that way too and just control the fuel side of things. The Holley system will control any EFI set up. You can use it on your Whipple, Kinsler stacks, factory Merc, you can convert your carb'd manifold, use a throttle body, almost anything you want to run. You don't have to use their intake and throttle body.

If you are only concerned about peak power, then look no further then a good carburetor. If you want total engine control and the additional safety it affords, then welcome to EFI.

For guy's like Sutphen30 and me, the ability to control fuel and spark for each individual cylinder and use collected data to further optimize an engine combination is freakin awesome. The more data you collect, the more surprised you'll be by what goes on in there and if you're like me you'll want to be able to control it.

The reason for this thread though wasn't really for the guy's that are doin coil on plug, sequential, dual knock, dual wideband, with 24 injector engines. You guy's are already deep into EFI. Although the Holley can do all that, it is also incredibly simple. It's a great upgrade for the guy who wants to do heads and a cam on his 502MAG over the winter, and then maybe ditch the factory intake the next year, and then add a procharger the next year, etc. It'll keep adapting and you can keep upgrading at your pace. The self tuning feature really helps take the fear out of EFI.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Will the MEFI 4b support sequential and if so what is everyone using for crank position sensing?
The MEFI is usually wired as a staggered batch fire, so you could look at it as a semi sequential type of setup for a port injected engine, firing half the injectors at a time. You can run pretty much any type ignition, most use a small cap HEI, but the aforementioned PSI blown 632's with 4B's now run a 58x trigger wheel and are set up like an LS7 with an individual coil per cylinder.. Going to the 58x setup was worth almost 100hp more over a small cap HEI on these engines. These used a VR crank sensor, and a slotted rotate-able trigger wheel mounted to the center portion of the harmonic balancer.

The E38 and EFILive is not a bad route to go if you do a MAF-less tune on it and just use the MAP sensor. I did an LS7 in a Porsche 911 with it and it was a wicked set up.

At this point I have figured out the unlock codes for most all of the MEFI's from every manufacturer, so base tunes are available for everything from old Northstar's, to Ecotec's, to Ramjet's, to any LS engine, to any of the OEM setups.

For a wideband O2 setup, much of the time I recommend the Innovate MTX-L or LC-1 with display. They are both about $170 off of ebay, and it comes with the Bosch wideband sensor included. It is a pretty nice deal.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered

ls7 in a 911 ??? wow....talk about a heavy rear-end....
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Super informative thread.

Thanks Haxby Sutphen and Griswald.

I think the way this is likely to go for me is that Ill likely have Alexi at boostpower put it in, and walk me through it. Alexi had to put up with me in Florida, and I still feel bad for him. (lets just say a three hour long car ride after chorizo burritos)

I'll watch the tune and then be able to dial it at the lake using the same methods.

This thread grabbed me because I'm keeping my little boat

Ive optimized everything else this last fall note recirculation systems removal, and EFI is the last step. Only a very few 21ft tunnels have an ITS and fully hydraulic steering and are this nice overall. The reason I even care is that this little boat has a unique documented history that adds to its appeal to me personally, and keeping it trick throughout the decades has been fun and in my mind an 8 stack injector is about as cool as it ever going to make it .

Also likley the last step in this particular boats evolution. (yeah right)

Id say I am pretty good mechanic, and I could probably pull it off, but it would take significant time which I no longer have. I would pay to be given a live tour of this so I can "learn to fish" and take it from there.

Uncle Dave
Awesome little boat Dave! That thing would be sick with stacks and I think Alexi could probably figure it out..
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

Haxby - You delivered an epiphany for me in that I had always "linked" the throttle body to the electronics and software.

It never dawned on me that it would be possible to pick and choose at the garage level.

An old dog can learn a trick or two.

UD
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Alexi is a good guy and does great work.

ls7 in a 911 ??? wow....talk about a heavy rear-end....
It actually is lighter than the Porsche engine being taken out in most instances and moves the weight more toward the center of the car. See:
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MEFIburn
Yes, there was heavy sarcasm in the "probably"..
Old 12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MEFIburn

It actually is lighter than the Porsche engine being taken out in most instances and moves the weight more toward the center of the car. See:
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
im impressed...
Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pqjack
im impressed...
Ive been in a sb 383 powered renegade hybrid and it was stupid fast.

Although considered Teutonic sacrilege a SBC powered 928 is also unbelievably cool.

UD
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in a SBC 914. It was like a very fast shoebox! Nothing like a 914-6.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.