NEW 502 problems, help.

Notices

NEW 502 problems, help.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW 502 problems, help.

Just took out my 1988 Scarab 28'excell(first time in two years)that has a new 1996 502 efi installed.

The merc mechanic who helped me with the install is now out of the loop so its on me.

First thing I noticed was the oil pressure gauge is not working at all and the trim gauge is not working.

The raw water pump pulley(which has the mechanical fuel pump and filter attached)was wobbly and it thru the fan belt off after a few minutes. I shut it down and tried to adjust the tensioner but the belt stretched too big. So we got a nice ski boat driver to tow us back in.

QUESTIONS:
1.Where can I get a new oil pressure sending unit?
2.Out of the 1988 bravo I see 2 sets of two conductor black wires. One set is connected to three wires at the trim pump assembly. The other set is not connected and must have been for the ananode merc box on the old 454.
I will look at the external trim sending units on the bravo and see if they are hung up. Any ideas what this could be it might be a wire harness problem.
3. Now the housing that holds the raw water pump pulley is apart now and I need to replace the pulley or shaft and experience with that guys???

Any info would be great!
Terry Gardiner
Old 06-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Scott72

Not sure about your oil sender or sea pump, but in regards to your trim gauge, check the brown wire that comes out of the back of the transom to your wiring harness. It is a double wire with Male/female connectors into the harness. On my last boat when I replaced the coupler I ended up binding the wire out of the transom (resulting in a slice in it) which left my trim gauge inoperable. Had to put in a new trim kit the next year which was not the easiest job.

Scott

Old 06-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terry,
The wires going to the trim pump limit the outdrive travel when you operate the trim button, so you don't come out of the guide plates. To raise the drive above this point you press the trailer button. If this system still works! The other wires are for the gauge on the dash. The sending units are on either side of the outdrive pivot shaft. They are adjustable, but prone to failure. The wires fail too.
Mercury should have a rebuild kit for the sea pump, try Bam on this sight, or Dollar Marine.
JB