Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any Coil that performs dramatically better? >

Any Coil that performs dramatically better?

Notices

Any Coil that performs dramatically better?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i'm pretty sure that if you measured the temps in real time at speed with a thermocouple and a recorder like i did you would find that you were getting air inlet temps well over 110 deg. mine were 133 before air box and ambient after and that translated to roughly 200 more revs at the top and getting there a good bit quicker. once you pop the hatch to measure the temps drop in an instant.
I measured the temps at speed (well, 58 mph boats no speed demon yet), with the hatch down, at WOT, after running for 2-3 minutes. This was with an inexpensive indoor/outdoor thermometer with the thermocouple attached to the FA fins. Inexpensive, but it read within a degree or two of my NIST lab thermometer at ambient and 130F. Thermocouple was on a 15' lead, so no need to open the hatch. No recorder, but it held max / min (which I reset before the run). Started out maxed out on the thermometer (140 is max IIRC), dropped to 2-3 above ambient after just a few minutes.

I'm sure lots of boats have temp issue. My point was that a fairly cheap and easy test under running conditions could tell you before spending $. I think I paid less than $10 (on clearance) for the thermometer.

Last edited by apollard; 01-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm going to re-visit the temp question on my boat next summer. I will moniter the IAT with laptop and see where I am at, this is something that I keep forgetting to do when I have my laptop[ and software on the boat, Smitty