New (used) boat - engine troubleshooting >

New (used) boat - engine troubleshooting

Notices

New (used) boat - engine troubleshooting

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (used) boat - engine troubleshooting

Picked up a Crownline 230 bowrider for the family this weekend. She's in nice shape, really clean, and seems to run great. But we had a stumble on our maiden voyage and I wanted to discuss it a little to get other's input.

She idles and purrs like a kitten. When I first got in the water I idled through the channel (engine was good and warmed up). Then got to the lake and gave it some throttle to get on plane...all went smooth. Running great. Ran across the lake around 45-48 mph with ease. She's deep and wide...very smooth ride.

We get into the creek on the other side of the lake and I noticed a stumble when I was WOT. No big deal. There's not much fuel in the tank (about 1/4 tank) and I'm not going too far...so I decide to test it again. She started to bog down whenever I tried to get up on plane. It would get up on plane and run smooth for a few seconds then it would bog down and almost die (would die if I didn't let back on the throttle). So I turned around and limped it back to the boat ramp.

My thoughts...fuel is prob a bit old - it's been sitting since Labor Day, and maybe there's some trash in the carb making the float stick or in a jet. Or...fuel was just a little lower than the gauge indicated and she was having trouble at WOT because of the low fuel level...not sure. I was going to buy some "Sea Foam" fuel/carb cleaner, fill up the tank, and take her out again before I get into taking the carb off for a rebuild.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do as you say, probably change the filters also. I would rule out the fuel before digging any further.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Yeah I'll change the filters too. I think it's prob a combination of low on fuel and old gas. Can't wait to try it again this coming weekend.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Water in the fuel.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Water in the fuel.
+ 1. Siphon out the remaining fuel and put a new fuel/water separating filter. Dump the filter's contents into a foil pain and look for water.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

pump out left over gas. i like to use 6 gallon tank to test boats, that way i have access to tank. large inboard tanks pull anti-siphon(check) valve and clean/check- ball should move. if you see little clear silicone pellets, clean out tank good. the silicone substance is from MBTE and alcohol reaction, have had it build up on ball of antisiphon and stop/reduce fuel. if you use small tank i would use mercury number 2 quikleen(2X dosage) to clean fuel pump to carb, normally will disolve junk. it will help if you have to take apart to clean. water would have hit filter just after you got on plane(bow up) and killed engine.