Notices

Pre-Oiler

Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BigBrew, if you want louder just ride behind me all summer, not like your gonna have a choice anyway....

You bought a nice boat, now just enjoy it!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

there is a kit advertised in the classifieds that seems reasonably priced...any feedback?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
If your the engine sits for very long periods of time this is a viable accessory but not really a necessary item. If you're starting engine after long periods of storage then unplug the coil pack harnesses , the fuel injector harness plug and remove the oil filter, fill with some oil and screw it back on quickly. Then crank the engine over for a series of 15 second burts, maybe 4 or 5 to build oil pressure then connect the harnesses, fire it up and watch oil pressure carefully for first minute or so.
If you are storing the engine for a long period of time over 2-3months especially in wet, humid or cold climates its a good idea to remove the sparkplugs, fog each cylinder while cranking the engine over and then install the plugs and store away.
These are storage and refire lubrication options for storage of 3-6 months. If you are storing well beyond these periods then there are other things you should do.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
i would like to start my motors as Ray says ,unplug fuel injector and coil pack harness ,can anyone tell me where the the plugs are ,thanks this is for 496ho

Last edited by paul buckner; 02-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always this. Would require some plumbing. But you could prelube in seconds.

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/filter_mount.html
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

My boats (4 total over a 15 + year period and @ 1,000 hours combined use) get laid up at the end of October/first of November and pulled back out March/April. I back them down the ramp, turn the key, and fire them up. They always build oil pressure immediately and I have never heard a bearing knock or lifter/rocker arm rattle after starting them. I've always used Mobil 1 15W50. Any wear caused by starting an engine without pre-oiling after a 4-5 month layup has to be so nominal that you'll never notice the difference over the life of your motor.