Notices

Pre-Oiler

Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Oiler

Anyone using a pre oil system on their 496 h.o.? Necissary, not necessary, pros, cons?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your the engine sits for very long periods of time this is a viable accessory but not really a necessary item. If you're starting engine after long periods of storage then unplug the coil pack harnesses , the fuel injector harness plug and remove the oil filter, fill with some oil and screw it back on quickly. Then crank the engine over for a series of 15 second burts, maybe 4 or 5 to build oil pressure then connect the harnesses, fire it up and watch oil pressure carefully for first minute or so.
If you are storing the engine for a long period of time over 2-3months especially in wet, humid or cold climates its a good idea to remove the sparkplugs, fog each cylinder while cranking the engine over and then install the plugs and store away.
These are storage and refire lubrication options for storage of 3-6 months. If you are storing well beyond these periods then there are other things you should do.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Registered

i live in ny its in storage now, but once it comes out, i hope that im using it at least once a week on the weekend. tips???
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

any tips on how to make it louder???? i have the above water and long tips off the transom. i hear your the man Raylar for the 496
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGBREW
any tips on how to make it louder???? i have the above water and long tips off the transom. i hear your the man Raylar for the 496
Do you want performance, loud or both? Do you currently have any muflers, if so, replace with straight pipes.

If you want it really loud, no matter if you do a Raylar upgrade or not, then there is nothing that rivals a dry to the tips exhaust system. There is not much that will pizz off as many folks either, just have that in mind.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

Ray,

What if I had an oil filter modified with a fill cap on top? If I had a rubber stopper that I could remove, fill the oil filter to the brim and then turn over, would that be if benefit for spring start up?

I figure I could have someone else start the motor, and I'd stand over the oil filter applying pressure to the rubber plug to ensure it stays in.

Just brainstorming. I hate spring startup knowing everything is relatively dry.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Smile

Sydwayz:

I think modifying the thin case of an oil filter may be the issue.
You could just put a T-fitting under the oil filter adaptor on the return to block side and pour oil into a taller than engine height hose until the oil to block adaptor areas have some oil in them, then plug the T and crank the engine to get some oil system pressure delivery then fire the engine and watch the pressure carefully.
This won't fill the filter but some oil in the system will allow the oil pump to prime and then when you crank the engine without fire it should build pressure in the system and deliver some fresh oil to the bearings, oil pump, oil filter, and camshaft oil galleys.
Obviously keep a new first time fired engine at idle until the oil can get to all the other places it needs to be like, valve train, camshaft lobes, rockers, cylinder walls, etc.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Well i have done some reading about dry exaust, though i would like mine to be a bit louder, i dont think i want to be obnoxious. I love these fourms because I can ask these questions and I feel like I get good answers. Just got the boat in October so these fourms keep me busy while im waiting for the winter to pass by, I am interested in what the guys above were curious about also, the first start for the spring. What is the best way to go about getting some oil moving before starting the motor?? Again thank you for your time and information.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

Wink

BIGBREW:

Understand your love of a loud exhaust, but be careful here with dry exhaust as many areas now or in the near future have noise regs and enforcement that tickets and forces many performance boaters to quiet instead of "louding" their exhausts.
Also keep in mind stock 496HO's don't have big camshafts in them that give the loppey rumble that some performance boaters want and it takes power to make that rumble and noise so maybe you'll have to up the power of the engine to get the added 'loud" and the extra benefit of more boat speed and performance is a nice secondary benefit!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lubrication prior to firing up the motor is important. Ray points to the length of time being very important.

IMHO the best system for engine pre-lube. 20 lbs. of near instant pressure. Leave it "on" while you fire it up. Besides that, a great and easy way to change the oil with the quick connects that come with the kit. Yeah, I know it's pricey. Com'on, isn't your motor worth it???????

http://www.keitheickert.com/p-12473-...er-system.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.